Chapter 8

Niall's POV

When Zayn got home he walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me tightly. I wasn't sure what was wrong with him, he usually comes home much earlier and he also comes in with pet names for me or a kiss on the cheek.

"I don't know what's going on." Zayn mumbled into my neck. The way he sounded scared me more that he will ever know. He sounded so vulnerable, he sounded nothing like the strong man he normally is for me.

"I'm here." I whispered to him, hoping that would make him feel comforted in some way. He kissed my neck and rubbed my back before letting me go.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled under his breath, then looked down at his feet in embarrassment. I looked at him and realized he wasn't okay. I got his face in my hands and made him look at me. The color of his skin seemed off and his eyes looked full of anger and shock.

"What happened?" I asked him quietly. He shook his head, then placed his shaky hands on my stomach. I looked down then back up at him to see his eye brows scrunched together.

"We're never going to have kids. Not until it's safe for them. Not until I know it's not going to be them on the other end of a gun or getting married off to someone." My heart broke a little when I heard him say that. I know I felt the same way, but I guess inside even if I was confused on if I could get pregnant, I still wished we could have little babies.

We both went to our bedroom after that and laid in each others arms in silence. I could feel Zayn's heart beating hard against me. I looked up at him and saw he was already looking at me. A blush shaded my cheeks as I continued to look over his face.

His color still seemed off and his eyes looked off as well, but I saw something normal that made me smile at my husband slightly. It was that look of adoration he's had in his eyes since our first morning we woke next to each other. It was was like he was almost glad I was next to him and not someone else.

"Goodnight, Niall." Zayn wispered to me then kissed me. I moved so I could get a better kiss than just a peck.

As I laid on top of the tan skinned boy, his hands slid down my back and rested on my bum. I felt myself get a but too excited from that and stopped kissing him. Zayn just looked up at me and looked over my face once more before rolling a bit so I was pocketed right against him.

My eyes grew heavy and so did my heart because I just wanted to make Zayn feel better. But I knew that this was something even I couldn't fix, I just couldn't figure out what it was.

Zayn's POV

My dreams were haunted with the vision of the man I called a friend getting shot. All I could see was blood splattering on the dirt. All I saw was his lifeless body being dragging into the woods and taken somewhere his poor family will never find him.

I left the rose I bought for Niall where the pool of blood was on the ground. I guess I wanted to make his death seem more humane than it was. He was murdered for no reason.

The words spoken echoed in my sleep. The young rebel. The King Dove will rise. None of those words made sense to me. Then the fact Salomon said his death would just be the first of hundreds more. To me that sounds like a war is coming or something I know won't happen like a rebellion.

To have a rebellion, there needs to be one leader. If that leader was Salomon then the rebellion died with him. I know he wasn't going to be the first to rebel, but if anyone ever did start something I would be the second person to support it. This is no way of living.

I fear having children. I fear their future and they aren't even here. If they have to grow up in a place where food is always too expensive, where you fear the government that controls you, where nothing is safe and you are absolutely nothing then I don't want that. I didn't want that for my sisters, but I couldn't really do anything to change it. I can do something to make sure my children don't have that. Just don't have them in the first place.