Chapter 9

Niall's POV

When I heard the whistle blow in the distance signifying the day of work to begin, I had a feeling run through my blood. It was like the first snow flake of the season falling from the sky and resting on my heart, causing a coldness to gently seep through my blood.

My mind wandered to if this was how married people feel when something bad is going to happen to their significant other. I tried to get the thought out of my head and keep myself busy with cleaning up a bit. Even that didn't help me from looking out the window for my husband to come home or for something.

When I was cleaning the kitchen, I came across the box of condoms that were in the kitchen drawer. I didn't know why those were there, it's not like we're going to do it in the kitchen. So I took them and placed them in the bedside drawer where I found a weathered picture I have never noticed.

The edges of the picture were torn and looked like they had been folded up. I picked up the picture and saw it was of a man and a woman with three children. The woman was obviously pregnant. There were two little girls and a young looking boy. Even with how young he looked, I could easily see it was Zayn. He had his hair cut close and his cheeks still looked chubby.

I looked at the man in the picture that looked a bit like Zayn does now. I assumed that was his father. He never told me about him other than the fact he had been killed in an accident. I only could assume he was either a really good man that Zayn didn't want to talk about or he wasn't that close with his father. With how protective Zayn is with his family, I'm guessing he had a good dad to teach him that.

I set the picture down and shut the drawer. I wished that Zayn would have told me more about himself. He only told me a few things, but most of the time he really just tried to make me smile or laugh. Maybe that's all I need to know about him. He loves his family, and likes to make me happy. He also told me he loved me so maybe he's just a troubled man full of love to give.

I went outside and saw the sun was high in the sky. I pulled Zayn's jacket off me and held it in my hands just looking at it. He always looked good in this, even if it was just a black zip up jacket. He managed to make everything look good, even his work jump suit.

"I hate doing this." I heard a voice say in the distance. I looked over and saw a few officials walking down the street and one official I've seen before that left an impression on me. He was the biggest and he scared me the most out of all the officials. He was the Main, but I usually see him near the Tower or in the Square buying things or checking up on things.

"These are our orders from the President. We have no say, but honestly I don't give a shit. That boy is a rebel at its finest. He's not smart enough to figure out the trap so he'll end up getting caught in it. He doesn't have children yet, so that will end that rebel name." The Main said in a voice dripping with hatred. Just the sound of his voice sent a chill through my body, making me bring Zayn's jacket closer to me.

"We should have stayed to see if it worked." The other man said, but just as the Main was going to reply a low rumble was heard from where the train was just down the way from my house. I stood up and wanted to run to the sound because I knew something wasn't right.

Minutes passed and soon a dead silence was left behind. My heart was beating out of my chest and my legs felt like they became liquid. I sat down and held the jacket that smelt like my husband close to me. Something didn't feel right.

"If the rebel isn't dead, then I don't want to be part of the aftermath of his anger." The Main said as he walked past me. I watched him closer and wished I didn't. He began looking around until his cold eyes settled on me. For a split second I saw some sort of regret cross his face then it was replaced with a hard look like he had no soul.