Chapter 3: Little slice of Eden

I'm not scared to face Lexi—in fact, a part of me is looking forward to it. But the anticipation fills me with a jittery energy that makes sleep impossible.

Making my way through the dimly lit Bunker is second nature by now, and I reach the back room of our clinic, which houses most of our books and supplies, without waking anyone up.

Flo leaves detailed vids with lessons for seven of us who want to learn medicine, and I'm right in the middle of a particularly interesting one on how to mix some of the custom medicines that we make in our clinic. The work is intense and absorbing, exactly what I need to take my brain somewhere else.

It's easy to lose track of time down in the Lab, especially when I'm doing something I love. Hours pass as I test and retest chemical reactions and take careful notes on my results. When I finally get to the part of the lesson where I'm making real medicine, my hands are starting to shake from exhaustion.

A soft knock on the open door pulls me out of the spell I've been under.

"You're working on the tincture to purge mold spores from the lung?" Justus asks, peering into my bowl.

"Don't tell me that you're ahead of me in our lessons again."

"I wouldn't say that. My tincture turned to a grayish sludge, and Flo says it's supposed to be a white powder. I have to watch her whole lesson over again."

I give him a smug smile. "Mine looks about right."

"Showoff."

I carefully pour the powder into a vial and label it so that Flo can test its properties later to make sure I've mastered the lesson. Justus helps me wash and put away my equipment. Like we always do, we fall into a rhythm without even having to speak.

"I should get some sleep, but I'm still wired," I admit.

"It's six in the morning—have you been up all night?"

"Guess so. It's almost like time stands still down here."

"Let's get some fresh air before you crash for the day."

I know what Justus is doing. Ever since Day Zero, I've avoided leaving the Lab as much as possible. When I'm down here, I can almost pretend that day was a horrible dream. But when I'm on the surface, the memories come crashing back. Harriet and Justus have definitely noticed, and they've been subtly trying to get me to leave the safety of the Bunker more often.

"I'm not up for this today, Justus. Why don't we listen to some music instead?"

"There's something I want to show you. I've been waiting for the right time, and mornings are best."

I'm curious, but I don't let Justus know that.

"There's another thing. The team got a new vehicle—one that can move easily through traffic if we're ever on the run."

My eyes go wide. "Motorcycle?"

Justus grins. "Maybe."

A very un-Joanlike squeal makes it out of my mouth as I'm flooded with memories of my hair snapping in the wind while the road passes beneath the wheels of a bike.

"I'm driving."

"Duh."

The motorcycle isn't as flashy or fast as the one I gave away months ago in favor of a more practical van. But it's well made, and I can tell from the purr of the engine that it's in excellent shape.

Together, we race through the city, and I avoid the landmarks that trigger my darkest memories. The streets are nearly empty, and I gun it down every decently long stretch of road that we come across.