Chapter 25: Brought to heel

For a long time, I refuse to believe that the water has stopped dripping. Surely there is another drop coming, and dread coils in my stomach like a snake waiting to strike. But, at last, the light above my head turns off. I blink my eyes, struggling to take in my surroundings.

I'm exactly where Dr. Averys strapped me in all those hours ago. Everything looks the same, even if my mind feels like it belongs to a stranger, and my usually ordered thoughts are loose and disjointed.

Dr. Rodriguez stares down at me, his face impassive. "Subject failed to activate her genetic variant in response to the stimulus."

"Same result as the rest," Dr. Averys says from somewhere across the room.

Same result...

"Why?" I croak. "If you knew it wouldn't work, why do it?"

Dr. Rodriguez ignores me, as if I really am just a rat in his experiment. But I think I know the answer. This wasn't really about inducing a vision or activating any latent abilities. It was about breaking me. And it's in my best interest if they believe they've succeeded.

Dr. Rodriguez shines a light in each of my eyes, and then unstraps my arm and neck restraints, allowing me to sit up.

"How are you feeling, Joan?"

I swallow the urge to hurl vitriol at this psycho. "Weak...sir."

A real smile stretches across his face. "I had a feeling that you and I would get along better after today's lesson."

"How long was I...?"

"It's been 20 hours. But rest assured, your body was given fluids and nutrients through your IV, so you're not dehydrated."

"Thank you, sir."

His eyes narrow, and I wonder if I've laid it on too thick this time. I blink innocently back at him, summoning Sweet 'Lil Joanie. Just like every other Evolved prick I've used it on, he swallows my performance.

"Are you ready to explain how your genetic mutation manifests?"

I wish that I could say that I'm too drained to come up with a lie, but the truth is that I answer Dr. Rodriguez's question honestly because I'm afraid of what he might do to me if I don't tell him the truth.

"I have these visions where I see little pieces of the future."

Dr. Rodriguez smiles. "Good girl. Anything else?"

"My visions of the future...they don't always come true. Sometimes things change."

Dr. Rodriguez frowns as he considers my answer, and then removes the IV from my arm. "We're going to allow you a rest period now. The Darwin wants you looking well for your interview tomorrow. After that we can start on some of the more strenuous tests."

My fists clench so hard that my knuckles go white. The good doctor notices and jots a note on his tablet. Then he unstraps my ankles, watching me as I rub my sore muscles. He must trust that he's I've been brought to heel and that I won't attack him.

And he's right, I won't leap on him and stab that IV needle into his neck, like I desperately want to. Instead, I force myself to breathe slowly. I'm weak, inside and out, and I don't know if my team has all the information they need yet. I'm not done playing his game.

The white door I entered 20 hours ago opens, and I hobble across the room and back into the pod. The lights lead me to the food dispenser, and I print myself a meal. After forcing it down, I walk to my bed, even though I can see that Ciara and Mikao are in the living area, watching my every move.