Chapter 6: I, too, have teeth

I wake feeling more sluggish than usual, but the sight of my pillow gets my adrenaline flowing immediately. It's spattered with blood. I gingerly touch my face and realize the culprit is a nasty nosebleed. Thankfully Justus is an early riser, so I'm spared the humiliation of having him see me looking like I've been in a bar fight.

Quietly, I strip off the pillow case, hoping that I can throw it away before any of my friends see it.

"Nosebleeds and headaches are the earliest symptoms of the H2IV," Sun says, catching me in the act of stuffing the bloody pillow case deep in the trash can. "You can also expect bruising and muscle pain today."

So soon? The weight of what I'll be facing every day for the rest of my life settles on my shoulders. It's not the heaviest weight I'm carrying, but it's another burden I don't need.

The main room of the Bunker is busy today. Alison and Cesar are exploring vid editing software on one of the computers next to Marie and Kat, who are giggling over a meme on Marie's laptop. A group of students from Seattle Secondary's newest class are clustered around a table, looking over costume sketches. After grabbing a mug of black coffee, Sun makes his way to the new touch screen Professor Wilde added to the far wall. It's filled with notes on the reality vid series, and he pores over every word.

Justus and Harriet are on the couch looking at a holographic map of Seattle on an oversized tablet, likely keeping an eye out for any potential incidents of violence on the streets.

"Hard to believe there was a time that trouble was stirring in one corner of the city or another at all times," I say, sitting next to Harriet.

"There's hardly anyone left to cause trouble," Justus says.

"No Throwbacks causing trouble," Harriet corrects him. "I'm sure there are plenty of Evolved wreaking havoc, but they aren't doing the kinds of things that show up on police scanners."

The heavy door at the entrance to the Bunker swings open, and my parents burst in, aglow with triumph. My eyes widen when Aft climbs in after them, equally triumphant. He hasn't been down here since he told us that he wanted nothing to do with our team of rebels.

The chatter inside the Bunker quiets when Aft clears his voice. I need to figure out how he manages that trick.

Everyone, including Mom and Dad, turns to Aft expectantly, and his face splits into a wide grin. "The judge ruled in our favor. It's legal throughout all of Washington State for any willing Throwback to use the Annex to have their chip disabled."

Harriet stands up. "Say that again?"

"We won!" Mom exclaims, her eyes filling up with happy tears.

The room explodes with chatter, and Aft is swarmed as everyone peppers him with questions.

"I don't believe it," Harriet says, and I'm not sure I've ever seen her more stunned. "That judge is Evolved. And he ruled in our favor."

"Not all Evolved are complete assholes, remember?" Justus teases her.

"I have to call Mason!"

I can imagine the look on Nic's face if he were here right now. He was always so skeptical about whether someone Evolved would do what's right if it didn't benefit them, but I think he'd be glad to be wrong.

I make my way to Mom and Dad and give them a hug. Their faces light up with surprise, and I feel a familiar twinge of guilt. I should do this more often, while I'm still around to do it.

"I'm so proud of you guys. Having your voices backing Aft's case made a real difference."

Once, giving my parents this kind of appreciation would have stuck in the back of my throat. We've come such a long way.