Chapter 13: He really is a monster

After firing off a message to the team about Joseph, I make my way to my parents' safe house for our weekly dinner. I try not to miss it, because I know these moments are numbered, and I want my parents to have some happy memories with me to look back on after I'm gone. Having good memories of Sparkle, Elisabeth, Sacajawea and Nic are what keep me functioning on my worst days.

Light is spilling from the windows, and I can hear excited chatter even before I open the front door. I take a breath before entering the chaos that is now the permanent state of their home. Mom and Dad were looking for a new project to put their energy into now that the court case is settled, and Lady Cleo put them to work promoting the launch of the reality series, targeting Evolved viewers.

"Darling! You'll never guess who's joining us for dinner!" Mom says, sweeping me into a tight hug.

I glance over her shoulder and see Ava hovering by the dinner table, an uncertain expression on her face. I haven't seen my best friend from high school since I graduated, and part of me thought our worlds were too far apart for us to stay friends.

"Hey, Ava. I'm glad you're here," I say, giving her a tentative hug that she returns.

She tucks lock of hair behind her ear. "Your parents thought I could help attract younger viewers to your series. I've been hyping it on social, and getting the word out on college campuses."

"It's quite impressive," Dad says. "Your friend here had the idea of reaching out to Throwback Allies groups on campuses across the country, and sharing the early clips that Sun gave us."

"Hits on the show's site have gone through the roof since then," Mom gushes. "The pilot of the series is going to be the most-watched show of the year, mark my words!"

"Congratulations, that's amazing," I say with as much enthusiasm as I can muster. "And, uh, thanks, Ava."

The front door opens, and a frazzled-looking Addie comes in. I do a double-take, not sure I've ever seen her look frazzled before.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

She nods and gives me a significant look. There's more she'll share with me later.

"Apologies for being late," Addie says to Mom and Dad.

"No apologies needed! We ordered in Chinese food," Mom says.

Over dumplings and orange chicken, we all share what we've been working on. Even with the addition of Ava, it's a relaxed and comfortable setting. At least until mom looks up at me and gasps.

"Joan, you're bleeding."

I dab a napkin to my mouth, thinking it's my gums. They are sore, but I realize my nose is also dripping with thick, red blood. Whether it's from the events of the day or the sight of the blood, I'm suddenly dizzy.

A vision hits me with sharpness and clarity.

Mom and Dad are sitting in the front row of Seattle Secondary's auditorium, clutching each other and crying. Every single seat is filled, and I recognize face after face.

Students from Seattle Secondary are a few rows behind mom and dad, sitting with the teachers. I look for my friends, and see Marie, Sun, and Kat huddled in the back, sitting with Hautey and others from the Chrysalis. There are also hundreds of others whose faces I don't recognize. Everyone is wearing black.

With dread, I turn my eyes toward the stage. A giant photo of me is propped on a stand, surrounded by flowers. Harriet approaches a podium and clears her throat, twice, like it's hard for her to speak.