Chapter 3

That was five years ago, and a long five years it's been. For the first about two years, I was just walking, nowhere in mind. Just living day by day. I'd take notice when I'd pass by state signs, and notable state attractions. Sometimes it felt like I was going on circles.

As I walked I always took in all the devastation. It was just as bad as they were saying. No. It was even worse. It wasn't just the environment that was affected, but the animals too. It was like they were evolving, but at a rate that made it seem more like a mutation. I had a few encounters here and there, but of course, the thing I had to worry about even more were people.

   It was about six months out when I had to kill for the first time. Yeah, kill. I got a gun out of it, though. All those self defense lessons Rico taught me helped a ton. He would come at me full force, and I used to hate it, but these guys are like paper weights compared to him. With every encounter I grew. Was it for the better or worse?

    The first time I killed, I threw up and cried for an hour. By the tenth time I was going through the person's pockets and spitting on their shallow grave. I remember when rumors started swirling around that apparently all this wasn't just some freak accident, but something caused by a higher power, and that higher power had chosen ten people during all this to bestow with "heavens gifts" as they called them.

   About three years out I heard civilizations were popping up left and right, but one in particular caught my attention. Ricket city, in Virginia, my home state, and from what I heard, one of those chosen individuals is the leader of this city.

   I guess I know where I'm going now. Took me about two years, but I finally made it, and in one piece, too. Somehow I managed to not lose anything all throughout these years. Nothing important, anyway. Still had Rico's knife and his hoodie, the love letter, and my head. So yeah, it's been pretty good if you ask me. I picked up a few new toys on the way too. A rifle, a pistol, and even a shotgun. It's a sawed off, too works wonders.

   Anyway, I finally made it. As I approached I looked the place up and down, the surrounding exterior was all metal. It looked pretty damn sturdy. "Who goes there?" I heard someone call out "Really John? 'who goes there?' what is this, the eighteenth century? Shut up." Another voice rang. I looked up and there were two armed guards posted up on top of the gate. "Ignore him. But really though, who are you and what do you want?"

  "I'm Carly. Traveling stranger, and I heard about this city. I was hoping I could take up refuge here. Any chance I can speak to the Person in charge?"

    They both just looked at me for a second before huddling together and whispering to each other. They looked back at me, eyes squinted, and a cautious look.

    I gave them a friendly wave, and they turned back around, talking amongst each other again for a brief second before finally turning around and saying "Alright. We'll let you in. I'll take you to see David. He's in charge. And I'm sure you've heard, but he's also a chosen one. So don't even think about trying anything."

     There it is again. He's a chosen one. I can't believe that's all actually real. "Alright. Thank you, I'll be on my best behavior, I promise." The other guard, John, I think he called him, pulled a lever as the one that was talking to me climbed down a ladder.

    The gate opened up and behind these walls was what was easily considered a paradise, these days. There were well built structures all around. Homes, stores, the whole deal. Like I said before, the outside structure was pretty much all metal, but inside was reminiscent of before all this shit started.

The buildings were made of bricks, stone, some metal, but they were all well built. It was filled with people, too. Smiling faces all around, kids running around, playing, as laughter filled the air.

    The shift in energy from outside the walls, and within, was shocking. I felt, safe. Weird. I haven't felt safe since all this shit started, yet all my tension, shedded away, like a snakes skin. "Nice, huh?" A voice called out to me. It was the guard from up top. "David did an amazing job building this place up. Come on, I'll take you through the plaza. Oh and my name's Toro, by the way. Nice to meet you. Carly, right?" He said to me as we walked together.

     Toro wasn't too tall, standing pretty close in height to me, maybe an inch or two taller. He had a lighter skin tone, and a curly head of hair, hanging neck length. As we got closer to the plaza, a mixture of smells began to hit my nostrils, that immediately made my mouth water.

     The town center was filled with many different places to eat. Each with their own cultural touch, and flavor, the scents of each fighting for attention in my nose. "Holy shit." I said as we walked through, my eyes bouncing from shop to shop.

"Uh huh. One of the best things about this place is the food. Be careful, though. Coming from outside, you'll fuck around and put on a few pounds around here. I know I did." He laughed at his joke and led me through the plaza.

    After a moment we were in front of a warehouse of sorts. It was pretty big and located towards the back of the settlement. Toro walked me through the side door, and when we went inside, it was filled with people just hanging around, talking, and chilling. It reminded me of a longue, somewhere to just hang out, and chill.

All these people looked like they were all here under a common cause for the most part. "Hey Toro. What is this place?" I asked as I looked around, puzzled by the atmosphere

"Huh? Oh, this is where all the "MK's who aren't on duty or out in the field, hang out. Some of these people are just random people, friends, but majority of us are MK's."

   "What's an MK?" I asked him, as we walked through a group of people

   "It's a group made up and headed by David. Mother Nature's Killers. He got the best fighters he could and we're the ones who protect the people around here, in whatever ways we can. We procure food, and resources, drive off animals and other people looking to cause harm to anyone in these walls. And, if you're good enough, which is a big if, you can try out to become an MKE. Mother Nature's Killer Elites. There's only five of them, so that should tell you how hard it is."

    "Quite the system he's got set up here. He sounds pretty impressive."

  "You'll meet him soon, don't worry. He's a cool guy." As we talked, Toro led me up some stairs and to a room in the back. He knocked and a low, smooth voice answered back "Come in." We entered and sitting in between a woman's legs was David.

Even though he was sitting down I could tell he was tall, from his long legs, and arms. He was brown skinned, with deep brown eyes, and a solid, slim figure. I had to stop for a moment, and catch myself, he actually looked like Rico a bit. That sent my heart in a flurry.

     "How's it going, boss. I was at the gate and this lady, Carly's her name, showed up. She was hoping to talk to you, so I brought her here. I'm gonna head back to the gate, alright? Later."

   "See you later, Toro." He looked at me and smiled, before heading out. It was just the three of us now. "Hey there. Name's David, as I'm sure you know. This beautiful woman above me, is my wife, Eden." The woman, Eden, was braiding his hair as he sat in between her legs.

    She was tall too. I'd say they were both between 6'0 and 6'3, David being the taller one. She was beautiful. Her skin was light like mine, and she had the most adorable chubby cheeks. I honestly wanted to squeeze them. I couldn't fully see, since she was sitting down, but her thighs were big, and she had big breast, too, probably a 45 inch bust. Her hair was long and wavy, sitting down at her waist. "Hey there, sweetheart." Her voice was sweet, too. I could tell she was from deeper South, probably. Her accent was kinda country, but not really heavy.

    The pair gave off a really dominating vibe. I almost found myself flustered and lost for words, as I tried to speak "Uhm. Hi. I'm Carly. I've been wondering outside the walls, and heard about a settlement. I was hoping I'd be able to live here. Is there any chance of that?" I nervously asked

  "I've got a few spots free at the moment. Mind if I ask a few questions?" He asked, as he waved his hand towards the loveseat next to the couch. I sat down and said "No, no problem at all. Shoot."

"Good. Where are you coming from, and how long you been out there?" He asked with a certain curiosity

  "I'm from California. I left when all this stuff starting happening and ended up here after about five years." David's eyes widened and a wicked smile grew across his face.