Chapter 6

Sarge took a few steps back, and said "David did what?" Oh no. Should I have said that? My heart is starting to race like crazy again.

   "He uh, asked, asked me to try out. You know, for the team. The MKE's. It's not a big deal, right? I'm sorry."

    "Not a big deal? Carly remember I said those are the elites. No one can compare to them. Most of the people who are MK's don't even dream of becoming one, just because of how far ahead they are." Toro replied "That's... That's insane. He must really believe in you. I've been trying to get him to let me try out for almost two years."

   "Well color me pink, slap me on the ass, and call me a pig, cause I am impressed." What the fuck did that have to do with anything?

   "David may let just about anyone in here, but he's incredibly picky when it comes to his elites. For him to even consider you, he just see something exceptional within you." Sarge said to me. I was feeling a lot of pressure, from their reaction.

   With every mention of these elites,I felt more and more inadequate, and unequipped to even try out. What on earth made David think I was ready for that?

   "Jesus, can you guys lay off her? You're gonna scare her away before I even get the chance to test her out." A voice rang out from behind us. We all looked and to my surprise it was David and Eden. They stick together pretty tight, huh? Honestly seeing him made me feel relieved. I felt like the pressure was taken off of me. I looked at Eden and she greeted me with a warm smile. It made me feel so warm inside.

    Sarge spoke up "Speak of the devil. What can I help you with, huh? Come to talk about that monstrosity we've been building?" Huh? What're they talking about? Ugh, I don't know anything. I hate being new.

"Yes. Yes I am. I just talked to Will, and he said he'll be done with my blade in a day or two, so he'll be ready to get back working on it with Chop. After that it should only take about a month, maybe. Got a moment to talk about your additions to it?"

   Chop? Who's that? Sarge just looked at David for a second before scoffing and walking off "Meet me in the back." She said with a heavy sigh

   David smiled and followed along, Eden at his side. As she walked past me she said "I'll come see you later tonight. Okay, sweetheart?" I smiled and nodded to her before they disappeared, following Sarge in the back.

  For a moment I forgot Toro was still there, his presence fading when David walked in. He spoke up when we were alone and said "Well I guess that's all the business we've got here. Wanna go get something to eat?" I was about to decline his request, when I was cut off by the grumbling of my own stomach "Uh, yeah. Yeah that'd be cool."

    Toro smiled from ear to ear and said "Awesome. Let's head on out." I followed out and we headed back towards the plaza.

    Once there we looked around and decided to go to his Uncle Hector's. When we got seated someone came and took our order, then we talked while we waited "So how long have you and your Uncle Hector been here?"

   Toro looked at me confused "Huh? Oh! He's not my Uncle. That's just what he calls his restaurant 'My Uncle Hector' I guess I should've explained that, huh? But to partially answer your question, I've been here since the beginning. I uh, I lost everything when all this shit went down. My entire family, all my belongings, my will to live, everything. I honestly don't know how I didn't die, because I was trying to."

" I pretty much threw myself into danger all the time, but always made it out. Somehow. Guess I had angels watching over me. Then David found me and brought me in. He was building a safe haven for people. He let anybody in, and as long as you played nice, you were assured a safe place to stay."

" Everyone felt extra safe knowing that David was a chosen one, cause even if they didn't know what that was, they knew that people feared that. Kinda like fearing the unknown for most people.  David proved that he was a force to be reckoned with, though. Anytime someone causes a problem around here, he handles it personally. At first, outsiders would always try and weasel their way in here, looking to do who know what's, but after a few times of David, uh, well, killing them, pretty brutally, word spread. Word spread that you don't fuck with Ricket city."

I was shocked to hear that last part. Sure he didn't look like a pushover, but he didn't look like a brutal murderer "David murdered them? Really? He looks so.... Peaceful." I said with a curious look

"He is. Trust me, these people he did in, were bottom of the barrel types, sell their own mother types. One guy was a rapist, don't think I have to tell you what he did, another was a murderer that killed an old convenience store worker cause they didn't have a product he was looking for, and there was this group of two bit low life's causing problems.They got it the worst."

"David wasn't here, so Eden tried to settle the situation. Didn't go so well. All I remember is one of them hitting Eden, then she yelled David's name and he appeared out of thin air and beat every last one of them within an inch of their life, before throwing them out."

   "Hold on, what? You said he wasn't here, but you said he just appeared. Explain for me."

  "Well I'd just fail if I tried. It's got something to do with that bag he's got. He says it was the gift bestowed upon him. I've got absolutely no idea how it works, so don't get me to lying."

    His bag? I didn't notice any bag when I first met him. I must've missed it. Ugh, I've got so many questions. I'll save them for later, though, cause our food just arrived. A got a ground beef burrito with the usual fixings. Queso, salsa, sour cream, all of that. It was amazing too, the flavors hit my taste buds like a freight train.

     After we ate, Toro took me back home and we went our separate ways. I layed on my bed and sank into it. Oh my gosh this feels so damn good. I don't even think my bed from five years ago felt this good. Before I knew it I was drifting off.

    I don't know how long I was asleep before a knock at my door made me shoot up out of my sleep. I wiped the drool from my cheek and groggily got up, going to see who it was. I looked through the peephole and saw Eden. Ahh, that's right, she said she'd be here.