Chapter 11

I let out a deep sigh of relief as I plopped down on top of a pile of clothes. Sheesh, I could use a nap. It feels good to be back inside. I had a great time with Eden, but my body is still trying to catch up on rest, I think. It's been so long since I've been able to actually just sleep peacefully, so I'm soaking all this in.

   Admittedly, the pile of clothes wasn't the most comfortable, but I'm so close to just passing out, I don't care. My mind drifted as I phased in and out of consciousness. It must've been maybe half an hour later, and I was dead in my sleep, snoring, with drool running down my cheek.

   All good things must come to an end, though. Right? My slumber was interrupted by a knocking at my door that woke me up and I shot up from the couch "Yep! Yep! I'm up, I'm up!" I looked around for a second and caught my breath. There was another knock at the door, reminding me of what woke me up in the first place. I groggily went to the door and looked through the peephole.

   It's David. I opened the door and he smiled "What's up? Come take a walk with me." Before I could even respond, he was walking away already.

Begrudgingly I followed him, trying my best to keep up, with my body still heavy from my brief nap.

   I yawned before asking "Where are we headed?" "To the front gate. Don't worry, this won't take too long." Hopefully not. I'm so exhausted. I can't wait to get in bed. Maybe I should get some food first.

    "Oh! How'd the meeting go?" I asked David as we walked. He looked back with a confused face "What meeting?" Only then did it hit me that Eden was looking out for me, so I could get some rest

     I laughed to myself and said "Nevermind." David just shrugged his shoulders and said "Okay." The trip wasn't long, maybe five minutes. It was filled with idle chatter before we arrived. John was at the top of the gate, sitting in a chair. Asleep.

   David took notice to this and grabbed a rock from the ground, launching it at him, hitting him right in the head "Fuck! We're getting attacked! Battle stations! Everyone!" John scrambled around in a panic, grabbing his gun and waving it towards the perimeter before realising that we were in fact, not under attack, and the assault came from a friendly.

   He turned around and looked down at us. David pointed at me, throwing the blame my way. "What!? No, I didn't do that. I promise." David laughed and said to John "Open the door, slouch."

   John grumbled under his breath as he lifted the gate for us. I stepped outside with David and he took a deep breath of the outside air "Yep. Same as the shit inside. Wonderful. Anyway, I just wanted to take a quick stroll. Take you to see the surrounding area, you know? Oh, just a sec. What am I thinking?" David turned around and yelled up to John who was much more attentive, this time.

    "Hey! I left my gun up there, and there should be an extra assault rifle, too. Toss em." John looked around and tossed the assault rifle, and asked David "Is your gun this sniper rifle?"

   "Yes it is. Don't hurt yourself trying to pick it up." David said with a sly smile on his face

   "What? It's just a gu- Holy shit! This thing is fucking heavy!" He said with a few groans and moans

    "Uh huh. Lift with your back, not your knees. Or is it the other way around?" John picked the gun up, with relative ease, even though he was complaining, and tossed it down to David, who grabbed the gun with one hand before throwing the strap over his shoulder and tossing me the assault rifle

   "You know how to use that? I'd hate for you to shoot your eye out." He jokingly asked and gave me a playful shove.

  "Yeah, I've used one or two. You just point and shoot, right?" I joked back