Chapter 16

While walking together Jasmine started telling me about her love for strawberries and the many different recipes she'd developed over the years. She was quite the strawberry master.

  A voice called out behind us, stopping us in our tracks. "Hey! Carly, Jasmine!" We both turned and it was Toro. He was walking with John, dragging behind.
They approached and Toro said "Hey ladies. Doing some shopping?"

  Jasmine spoke first "Hey Toro! Oh, uh ye-yeah. I just, I just uh, bumped into Carly here, and thought I'd help her out" Jasmine's face was so red, you could see it through her beautiful brown skin, and she was stumbling over her words, nervously laughing.

   "Oh yeah? Well you guys have fun with that. John and I are going to a meeting at the warehouse. We'll catch you guys later." he said as he walked off with John

   "See you later! I hope you have a good day!" Jasmine called out
"You too Jas." He called back as he waved. She was stuck, watching him, with stars in her eyes, mouth wide open.

   I smiled and playfully bumped her arm "Someone's got a crush, I see."
"Huh!? No! I just- I was just being nice. He's a nice guy, yah know. I mean, he's got really nice hair, and that jawline could cut a diamond, but I swear I don't." I gave jasmine a skeptical look, raising one eyebrow, as she nervously laughed.

  She burst out, turning towards where he walked off "Okay, fine! That boy is fine as frog hair, lemme tell yah. He's not interested in me, though."

  Her head dropped, and sadness washed over her. I didn't really know what to do in the moment, so I just gave my best attempt at cheering her up

   "Come on, now. You don't know that, he might like you." I said, putting my hand on her shoulder, trying my best to console her "No he doesn't, Carly. Come on, this isn't some silly fairy tale. You can tell when someone's interested in you. The look in their eyes, their body language, all of that." she said with a certain sadness and acceptance in her tone

   She wasn't wrong. I'm pretty sure Toro isn't really too interested in her. I can't give up, though. "Well have you ever tried asking him out? Just to make sure. Not even on a date, just as friends. You guys could get something to eat, hang out, or whatever. I know our options are very limited, but you could do something.

  Oh! I've got it. "Next time you go to pick up products from the farm, take Toro with you. You know, like an escort."

   Her face lit up and a big smile etched across her face "You're a genius. We're supposed to have some MK's go with us, anyway. Why didn't I think of this!?" Mission complete. She's right back to her peppy self. We reached my place and she helped me put my groceries up before heading back.

   It's just hitting afternoon, so I guess I'll take a stroll around, and just relax. The plaza is lively today. It's nice seeing everyone just enjoying themselves. Hearing the chatter and laughter fill the air is a welcomed reminder that I'm safe, for once. "Carly!" A voice called out. I looked and saw Lilith joyfully skipping to me. She looked even happier than usual, I wonder what she's got going on.

   "Helloooo, beautiful! It's a wonderful day, isn't it?" She called out with a voice full of glee, and a smile bright as the sun
"Someone's happy. What's going on?" She stopped skipping around looked at me with a sly smile

   "You don't know? Jay's coming back!" I raised my eyebrow in confusion and looked at her before shrugging my shoulders "Oh! You actually don't know, I forgot. You don't know Jay, that's right.
Well you know how there were five MKE's before you came around? There was supposed to be eleven, actually. Jay, his group of friends he runs with, and this one other person. Long story short, Jay didn't want anyone in charge of him, but he agreed to help David when he needed, so he does recon and stuff like that. A lot of field work. But most importantly, he's my lover boooyyy! Oh gosh, how I've missed him"

   She hugged herself and spun around as she talked about him. Wow, he must really be something.

   "You guy's are dating?" I asked her
"Well, no. We're both free birds, but lemme tell you! If that boy ever asked me to marry him, I'd say yes in a heartbeat!"

   "Oh wow. You guy's are some real love birds" before she could respond, the sound of engines revving became ever more present in the air, every second they grew closer.

   Lilith jumped in joy, and screamed "He's here! Jay's here! Come on, come on, come on." She said before dragging me by my hand with her. Why do I have to come?