Chapter 15

As we ate together, I started to wonder about something, so I spoke up "How'd you meet David? Did you know him before all this stuff went down?"

   Toro was scarfing food down, at the moment, but managed to inhale it all without choking and responded

"Yes and no. I had heard of David through the grapevine, but never personally met him. He was the guy who had whatever you needed, you know. Information, product of pretty much any kind, anything. Somehow he still maintained a low-key profile. Not many people knew him personally, and that's exactly how he liked it. After everything went down, I had heard about his 'powers' and stuff, and figured it was bullshit, so I didn't pay it any attention."

"Me, myself, I used to be a real hot head. Toro? That's not my real name. That's a nickname I got because I was like a raging bull. So when I finally ran into David and saw all that he had, I figured I'd try my hand at the legend. Big mistake. He humbled me, quickly. He liked me for some reason, though, and took me in. Made me an MK, saved me, and the rest is history. It's a regular ole fairy tale."

  We both lightly laughed at his last comment and I said "Oh yeah, happily ever after princess, over here." I said and playfully punched his arm. He smiled at me and kept eating.

  From there, the night took us away, and we ended up just talking for hours upon hours. We traded stories about our adventures over the past five years, leading up to now, well past midnight.

     Around two in the morning, Toro headed back home and I went to my room, falling asleep as soon my head hit the pillow.

     The next morning after I woke up went to the living room and just layed on my couch for awhile. As I layed there I thought about how I hadn't used my kitchen yet, or really even checked it out. Let's see what it's got to offer.

   I stepped in and looked around. Stove? Check. Fridge? Check. Cabinets? Check. Everything's seems in order. I opened the cabinets and was greeted to sweet nothings.

   The shelves were bare as a baby's ass. I opened the fridge and again, nothing. Sheesh. Why did I think that there would just be a full stock in there? Well, I guess I'll pay a visit to the grocery store to see what they've got.

     After getting dressed I headed out, and when I entered the store I was greeted by a warm face, and a heavy country accent

    "Welcome to Doughboys! Let me know if you- Hey you're the new girl! I've heard about you!" The girl behind the counter was ecstatic. I guess people were talking about me. She was a beautiful shade of brown, like bronze, and short hair, down to her shoulders. I walked over and said "Hi. I'm Carly. It's nice to meet you."

    "Likewise, Carly. I'm Jasmine. It's awesome to finally meet you. Ever since yesterday your name's been buzzing around. I even heard you're already an MKE! Impressive, my friend. You must be a real butt kicker." She said as she threw two playful punches.

I couldn't help but to blush,embarrassed by the attention "Uh, yeah. I mean, not really. I'm alright, I'm not that good."

   "Ahh, a humble individual. No worries, the attention will die down." She said and gave me a reassuring wink and smile "Well now that the embarrassing part, for you, is out of the way, how can I help yah?"

    "Oh, I'm just looking to pick up a few groceries. I'm kinda lacking in that department." "Well feel free to shop around, and when you've got all you need, come on up and I'll bag it up." She said with a smile.

   I smiled back and as I was about to walk off, I wondered something "Hey Jasmine, are you the only one working here? Just curious."

     She looked at me with slanted eyes and said "Thinking about robbing us? I'd think again, partner!" She said and pointed finger guns at me, and we just stared at each other for a few seconds before she shot at me, making gun noises then bursting out in laughter

    "I sure am funny, let me tell yah. But no, it's not just me. It's about fifteen other people here. We all swap between stocking, helping people take groceries home, if they need it, and picking up products"

   There's the million dollar question "Here's a question for you. Where do you get all of this from? You've got fresh produce, canned goods, practically all the stuff from before. It's unheard of." With an enthusiastic smile she put her arms on the counter and leaned down

   "No matter how many times I explain this, I love explaining it again, truly. It's a beautiful thing, really. When I first got this job, I was curious about it too. David himself was actually the one who told me, so I got it straight from the horses mouth. Alright, so check this out. When all of this happened about five years ago, one of the first things David did was get all the livestock he could, clear out some areas for them to live, got some people that knew what they were doing, farmers, farmers kids, botanist, you name it, and they all came together to ensure that we'd have all the necessities. Milk, eggs, cheese, fruits and veggies, you name it. Not too far from here is a greenhouse, where we grow the plants that aren't in season, and whatnot. When it comes to the canned goods, I can't lie, I don't really know the whole process behind that."

      "Ahh, well that's pretty efficient. David never fails to impress, huh?"

     Jasmine smiled and laughed, before saying "Yeah, he's been quite the hero. But enough talk, go head now, go get your groceries! Hey I'll even help you take em home if you need."

    I smiled back before walking of, beginning my grocery shopping. I didn't get too much, just what I really needed. When I was done, Jasmine helped me bag it all up and had someone take over for her at the front while she helped me take my bags home