Chapter 4

The look on his face was kinda unsettling, and sent a chill down my spine. All of a sudden Eden smacked him on his head with a nearby brush. "Ow. What the hell?" He yelled out in pain, grabbing the top of his head.

   "You're making that stupid face again, quit it. You're freaking the girl out." Eden said while rubbing his head for him

   "Huh? Oh, sorry about that. But uh, you're telling me that you've been braving those damn near impossible to survive, circumstances, all by yourself, for five years? And not only that, but you also walked across the fucking country?"

   I was starting to blush, so I looked down at my feet before I answered "Uhm. Yeah. It's just been me since all this stuff started. I didn't know what to do so I just kept on walking, and I ended up here. I heard about you and that you were a chosen one, too. So I figured I'd come see if all that talk was true, and maybe seek refuge, while I'm at it."

    There was a moment of silence before David bellowed out a laugh and said to me "Yeah. You can stay here, but there's one thing I want you to do. Try out for the MKE's." He said, just so nonchalantly like it was no big deal

     My head immediately lifted up in shock. "What? Oh no. I couldn't. I thought that was your best fighters. I'm not even a fighter really, I just got lucky." His request caught me off guard. Why would he ask such a thing of me?

     "Nah. That's bullshit. Five years, all the way across the country, by yourself? That not luck. Luck runs out after a year at the most. Look, I'll let you stay either way, but just consider it for me. I've got a good feeling about you. Can you do that?"

    I thought about it for a second, and something about his belief in me felt genuine, and warmed my heart. I smiled a bit and said "Okay. I can do that. Oh and thank you for letting me stay. I really don't know what I would've done if you said no." He smiled back and patted Eden's lower leg "Say mama, can you show her where she'll be staying? There's a room key in the drawer over there." He said while pointing at a nearby dresser

    "Sure thing, I'd be happy to." She smiled at me before getting the key, and kissing David before heading out with me. We made our way back outside and I followed her as she led me to where I'd be staying.

    As I followed behind her, I couldn't help but to look her up and down. Her body was amazing. She had long legs, that led up to thick thighs, sporting wide hips. She was a bit on the chubbier side, but it was honestly really attractive. It fit well with her body, she was well proportioned all throughout. I think all this time outside the walls is turning me into a pervert. Ugh.

    My indecent thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her sweet voice."I think you'll love it here. Everyone else does, especially compared to beyond those walls."

I smiled and said "Yeah, definitely. I'm grateful as can be. I was worried he'd say no, actually."

Eden scoffed and said "That big softie? No way he could look someone in the eyes and deny them refuge. And he's a really good judge of character, too. He's good at looking at someone and seeing what they're about. Plus he's a chosen one, so if anybody gets rowdy, he just handles it."

     There it is again. Chosen one. I should've asked him more about it. "Say uh, what's all the about? I've only heard rumors. Was he really chosen by some God?"

"Hmm. Well I could try to explain, but I'd butcher it. Next time you see him, make sure to ask. He loves telling about it." Well that's that, I guess. We reached a two story apartment building, and I followed Eden inside. She led me to a room and showed me inside.

    My first steps inside felt like I was walking through heaven. It was an amazing feeling to be inside somewhere to call my own, again, after all these years. It was already furnished too. The apartment was actually pretty damn big, also, with plenty of living room space and I've got a bedroom, with plenty of space. The bed was huge, and so was the closet. I don't even have that many articles of clothing, anymore. I'm still so grateful, though.

     I set my bag on the bed and sat down next to it. "This is all so amazing. I can't thank you all enough."

    "It's no problem at all darling. I'm glad you're finally safe and sound" for a moment I just relished in the serenity, and layed back. Eden's sweet voice rang out, asking me "I hope you don't mind me getting so personal with you, but where's your boyfriend?"

    The question was rather shocking, I didn't know how to respond really. I sat back up and started to fumble over my words "huh? Oh, uh. Well he, uh, I uh. I lost. I don't-"

    She interrupted my rambling and chuckled "it's okay sweetheart. Forgive me for being nosy. That hoodie is big enough to fit two of you, and you don't have a ring on your finger or visibly attached to you. You could be keeping it in your bag for safekeeping, but something tells me you guys didn't get the chance to tie the knot. Right?"

   I bowed my head in sadness and somberly replied "No. We didn't, unfortunately."

I hung my head down, but could see Eden sit next to me. Without saying a word she wrapped her arms around me and said "It's okay, sweetheart. You're safe now. Take your time, mourn him, remember him, and heal."

    Those words rang through my body and shook me to my core. I could feel my eyes filling up with tears as I began to sniffle. Before I knew it I was crying in Eden's arms, and she held me tight as she could. It was the first time beside the day all this happened, that I really stopped to think about it.

    I was crying my eyes out, like a baby. Eden pulled me back on the bed and cuddled with me, keeping me warm and safe, while I just let it all out. As time passed my crying grew softer, till I had fallen asleep from exhaustion. Honestly it felt like I just got done with a five year trip. I'm surprised I didn't pass out the moment I walked through the door.