Chapter 20

During the walk back home, Toro and I just talked, and joked till I got back to my place. We said goodnight and he went on his way. I desperately needed a shower, but I made the mistake of laying down first, and without even realizing it, I had passed out for the night.

    The next morning I woke up and was greeted by a strong smell, attacking my nostrils. I sat up and sniffed for a moment before remembering that I definitely didn't shower last night. Well I know what I'm doing first.

    After showering I went to my kitchen to make some breakfast "Morning" I heard someone call out. I looked over and saw Ana laying across my couch "Oh. Good morning, Ana." I kept walking before I stopped dead in my tracks and registered what just happened. I turned back around and yep, there she was, sipping on juice.

   "How did you get in here?" I asked, confused "You didn't lock your door." Now that she mentioned it, I definitely went straight to bed. Fuck, I gotta be careful "Oh. Well, alright. Do you want some breakfast?" I asked "Yeah, I can eat. I like my pancakes crispy." With confusion surrounding my words I said"The fuck is a crispy pancake? All I know is fluffy." "Well you're missing out. Let me show yah." She said before getting up, and rummaging through my kitchen, getting all she needed.

     I sat at the table watching, as she made an absolute mess of my kitchen, trying my best to not scream internally. When she was done she set a plate of pancakes down in front of me and said "They're not the prettiest, but they're damn good." She set her plate down and I couldn't help but to notice that her stack was damn near touching the ceiling. "Ana. That's so many pancakes. " while pouring syrup over the top of literally at least thirty pancakes she said "Pssh. You should see me eat when I'm actually hungry."

    This woman is a freak of nature. I took a bite of the pancakes and was throughly surprised. The crispy edges were surrounding a still fluffy center, and complimented each other very well. She made me four, and before I knew it, I had already ate three of them. I took a moment to look over and say "These are amazi- How are you already done?" I asked both confused and slightly impressed.

   Ana was sitting there, leaning back in the chair, sipping her juice, with a clean plate. "You eat slow. I'm just waiting on you, slowpoke." I just stared at her for a second, before finishing my last pancake, and putting the dishes in the sink "Alright, I'll clean this up later. You ready to head to training? Even though you, yah know, just lay there." "Yep. Gotta conserve my energy for when I actually need it" "Like when you wanna eat fifty pancakes?" She chuckled a bit and stretched her arms "Yeah, you get it" "No. No, I don't, Ana."

   The walk there was peaceful, and relatively quiet. It gave me a moment to take in the sun, and environment. When we got there, Ana went to her couch, and I met up with Lilith. "Morning lady!" She excitedly greeted me, with a smile "Hey, lil. How's it going?" "Never better! I feel like I could move a mountain." Sounds like someone had a good night

   A thought crossed my mind and I figured I was talking to one of the only people that might have an answer, anyway "Hey, where's David? It's been awhile since I've seen him, or Eden."

   "Oh, he's just been resting. Sometimes when he uses the bag, it gives him intense migraines, for a few days. This is one of those times.  So yeah, he needs some extra time to rest up." She said while getting  "Oh, I didn't know he went through that. I hope he's okay." "Eh, don't worry. It'll take more than a headache to take him out. For now, let's just worry about getting you rough and tough." She said with a smile while flexing her toned arms.

   We went on about our training like yesterday, going over some basics. Lilith is a great teacher, honestly. She even started to show me a few chokeholds, on a less than enthusiastic Wreck. Not sure he had much of a choice in the matter.

    After another long day of training, everyone went their separate ways, like usual. I walked home with Toro, again. It was nice having somebody to talk to.  As I was about to walk in my place, I stopped, and looked at the door leading to the roof, and decided to take a detour.

     To my surprise, when I reached the roof,  Ana was already there, accompanied by David.  From the look on his face, it was pretty obvious that there was something on his mind. Ana waved, and David looked over at me and mustered up a smile "Hey Carly. Coming up to enjoy the night sky?"

    "Yeah. Wasn't expecting to see you up here. I heard you were still resting. How's your head?" I replied as I sat on a chair across from the couch.

    "I'm all good. What about you? How are you adjusting to everything? Hopefully Ana isn't too much of a nuisance for yah." He said as he tapped her on the thigh and chuckled "No, no. She's great, honestly. But overall, I'm doing pretty good, really. It's like heaven compared to outside the walls."

     "I'm glad to hear it. What about the team?" I took a moment to think about it, before I answered. "Well, I think it's going good. I've started to train with everyone. They're nice, of course. I just....I just can't stop questioning why you chose me. I'm nothing special. I look at everyone around me and I just can't understand."

    David looked at me for a moment before leaning back, and looking at the sky. He reached his hand up before grasping at the air and looking back at me

    "Before all of this went down, I was the type of guy that could look you in your eyes and tell what you were made of. I just had a good eye for picking out the diamonds. Of course, I was wrong sometimes, but not too often. That changed when Mother Nature gave me this bag. Now I can look at a person and literally see what their potential is. I can see your limit, and who you'll be, just by looking at you. And when I saw you, after looking for a few seconds, I saw great potential. The type that you don't see very often. So to answer your question, it's not you right now, it's who I know you can become."

And to be honest, it's all up to you. You could become the exact opposite of what I saw, if you just give up. Something tells me that you won't, though. You walked all the way from California, to Virginia, so something tells me, you don't know how to give up. I know I'm talking a lot, but this is the last thing I'll say. Five years ago when all of this started, I was sixteen. Sixteen, in high school, selling whatever I could get my hands on, my biggest worries in life being how to make my next sell"

    "Pssh. You're really downplaying it. You were an underground God. You were the most sought out dealer around" Ana interjected

    "Yeah, yeah, I'm awesome, I know. Anyway, next thing I know, the fucking world is turned upside down, and I'm partly tasked with saving it...... saving the fucking world, at sixteen years old. It was so much to bear on my shoulders, but I did it. Along with everyone around me, I managed to do all of this, and so much more is to come. To be quite honest, I don't know what the point of me saying this is, but just remember, you're not alone in all of this." David ended his talk with a smile, and leaned back in the chair, relaxing himself