twenty

CHAPTER 20:
November 24th, 2015
• • •

Keith was in trouble for two reasons.

One: Brandy had escaped from the hospital.

He had sat by her side for hours, and just when he decided that he needed a walk to stretch his sleeping legs, she had miraculously woken up and bolted out of there. 

Two: His agreement with Ace was beginning to unravel.

He was ignoring every single call Keith made, and he worried whether he'd stick to his word and go to the cops to oust him for providing sensitive intel.

Then there was the issue of River. What would become of the little boy now that his mother had disappeared? It was a problem that couldn't be ignored. Keith made the decision to take River to Rochester to stay with his grandmother, hoping it would be a temporary solution until he could sort things out in New York City. He was on his way there as soon as he learned that his girlfriend had fled yet again. His foot pressed down hard on the accelerator, and he weaved in and out of traffic, his desperation to reach Rochester apparent in his reckless driving. Fortunately, he made it to Rochester safely. 

His mother's perplexed face greeted him as soon as she opened the door, but as soon as she caught a glimpse of River nestled in his arms, the lines on her face softened into an expression of relief, and her eyes lit up with joy. The little boy let out a gentle whimper and reached out his tiny hands toward Veronica, who eagerly took him into her loving embrace. "Oh my God, River. You're okay... oh, I was so worried about you. I missed you so much, sweetheart."

"Grandma!" 

"Grandma's here now, sweetheart." She peppered his chubby cheeks with kisses. "I was so lonely without you here."

Keith barged past her into the house, fighting the urge to tear everything apart, regardless of what or who it was. Brandy had fucked him over again. She constantly wronged him and had the nerve to play the victim when she was the one screwing Ace behind his back – and for cocaine, of all things. He was done letting her step all over him. He was finished taking care of a pathetic woman who was nothing but ungrateful for everything he sacrificed for her.

"I'm gonna kill that stupid bitch!" He grabbed the nearest object he could find – a small vase – and whipped it against the wall. 

Veronica recoiled at his sudden outburst, her eyes widening in shock as she clutched River tightly to her chest, shielding him from the turmoil. "Keith, honey, call down. Calm down and tell me what happened."

"It's Brandy," Keith seethed, his features twisted with anger as he scanned the room for an object to vent his rage on. "I found that she's been sleeping with her dealer for fucking coke!"

As he uttered those words, he noticed his mother's already pale face drain of color, leaving her looking more ghastly than usual. "Why would she do that? I thought you were going to send her to rehab again." With a gentle hand, she stroked River's hair, trying to comfort him amidst the chaos. "She's dangerous, Keith. I can't believe you allowed River to stay with her for so long! Anything could have happened to him."

He turned on his heel, his anger tangible. "I'm trying to tell you that Brandy's been fucking a drug dealer for coke, and you're worried about that damn kid?"

Her temper flared in an instant, and her expression turned into one of fury and concern. "Yes, Keith, because he's my grandson! She's a horrible mother to him and I refuse to let him grow up around a drug addict."

"Fine, whatever, I don't give a shit, Mom. But Brandy fucking ran away from the hospital." He marched to the couch and sat down heavily, hunched over his knees, his fingers buried in his hair. "This isn't the first time she's run away either. She was at a DV shelter with River not too long ago."