fifty

CHAPTER 50:
April 6th, 2016
• • •

Brandy had never been more afraid of anything in her entire life. As she approached the inevitable confrontation with Teddy, her heart pounded in her chest like a drum of dread. She knew that confessing her affair with Ace was going to be one of the most difficult and gut-wrenching conversations of her life. She owed him her honesty, and it was in his hands to make the final decision of whether he wanted to go or stay—though a part of her hoped he would choose the latter, despite her unfaithfulness.

She mustered up all of her courage and knocked on the apartment door. From the other side, she heard the telltale sounds of movement and shuffling, as if Teddy had been anticipating her arrival. The lock clicked, and slowly, the door began to swing open.

He stood in the doorway, a pen tucked behind his ear, his hair a tangled mess on his head, and the faint signs of a beard beginning to show. For a moment, she hadn't realized just how much she had missed him; those kind eyes and the warmth underlying his expression.

He also couldn't contain his emotions any longer. He instantly pulled her into a tight embrace, his arms wrapping around her as if he were trying to hold onto something he had lost.

"Oh, Brandy. Thank God you're back. I missed you," he whispered into her hair.

Brandy hugged him back, her heart tangled with guilt for the pain she had caused him. "I missed you too."

"You never called. You didn't answer my texts. I was worried sick." He held her even tighter. He even smelled the same as she last remembered—a little sweet and a little bit like a bookstore.

She felt a lump forming in her throat, her guilt gnawing at her insides. "I... I needed space," she admitted, her voice quivering with regret. "I was grieving, and I didn't know how to deal with it."

He pulled away slightly from their embrace, his eyes searching hers as if trying to understand the pain that had driven her away. "You didn't have to push me away, Brandy. I wanted to be there for you."

"I'm sorry. It was a lot."

Teddy's brow furrowed with worry, but he nodded, understanding dawning in his eyes. "I get it. But you could have at least told me that you arrived safely."

"I know..."

"Come on, let's go inside."

Their apartment was a sanctuary to Brandy as she stepped inside, the familiar surroundings offering a sense of comfort she had longed for. The soft, warm lighting cast gentle shadows on the cozy living room, where plush cushions adorned the sofa, and a well-worn armchair sat nestled by the window. The room was adorned with some of the photographs of their recent yet happy times, capturing moments of laughter and love. His presence surrounded her like an old, comforting song.

Her stomach dropped. She had ruined everything.

As Teddy closed the door behind them, he continued to express his longing. He spoke of sleepless nights and empty spaces that echoed with her absence. Her grief was his grief, and although he had never experienced the loss of a child, he felt the impact of it at the funeral.

She took a seat in the living room, feeling the plushness of the familiar couch beneath her.

As he bustled about the small kitchen, preparing a cup of tea for her, his words continued to flow. "I kept thinking about you, every day and every night. I couldn't help but wonder where you were, what you were doing. I even imagined you walking through that door so many times, and every time, I wished it would be real. I know losing River must be so painful. I can't even begin to imagine it, Brandy. I'm so sorry it happened."