thirty-five

CHAPTER 35:
February 10th, 2016
• • •

Brandy stood outside the pulsating nightclub, the vibrant lights illuminating the darkened street. The chilly night air bit at her exposed skin, causing her to shiver despite the flimsy protection of her short black dress. A thin layer of frost clung to the ground, glistening under the moonlight, as if mirroring the coldness that had settled within her.

Her coat, draped haphazardly over her shoulders, offered little respite from the biting chill. It was a feeble attempt at preserving some semblance of warmth. In her trembling hand, a cigarette smouldered, its wisps of smoke dancing eerily in the frigid air. 

Her eyes, weary and distant, scanned the crowd that thronged the entrance of the nightclub despite the weather. A kaleidoscope of colours and sounds assaulted her senses, the music pounding in sync with her racing heartbeat. The cacophony of voices, laughter, and clinking glasses faded into a distant hum, drowned out by the tempest raging within her.

Roughly two months had passed since she had last seen Ace and Keith, since her life had taken an unforeseen turn. In the aftermath of their departure, she had sought refuge in the chaos of the night, hoping to drown her sorrows in the neon-lit anonymity of the city. 

At the preliminary hearing regarding the custody of River, she had rescinded her parental rights without a fight. She still remembered how floored her ex-boyfriend had appeared when she gave him full custody without explanation and reason. But it did break her heart to see River in Veronica's arms waiting outside the courtroom, knowing that he was innocent in all of this. She had said her final goodbye to him, kissed him on the cheek and hugged him for a few minutes before leaving the courthouse without a word to Veronica or Keith, who had tried so hard to understand why she was giving up so easily. He should have known though. She could only fight for so long. At some point, she had to let him go, both him and River and the life they had three years ago. River could grow up in Rochester in a beautiful home, be cared for by lovely people, and thrive despite his challenges. 

Brandy would always be his mother. If he remembered her or chose to see her later down the line, she would welcome him with open arms. 

As for Ace, she had declined every call, left every text unanswered, and blocked his number a week after she had climbed out of his car the day she was meant to get an abortion. But that didn't matter now anyway. The baby was gone. One day it was there, the next it wasn't. She had woken up to a little blood in her underwear and on the bed, accompanied by immense stomach pain. When she had gotten checked, they told her that she had lost it. None of it mattered now though. 

She was happy as could be, floating from one club to the other, one bed to the other, one high to the other, free from every single responsibility. Free from every shackle in her life. She was a liberated entity. She had her sugar and that was all that mattered. Sure, sometimes she had to do some favours for some people, but in the end, she always got what she wanted. It was an easy life.

"Brandy!"

Brandy took one last drag from her cigarette, the ember glowing brightly for a moment before fading into darkness. With a flick of her wrist, she discarded the remnants, watching as they spiralled downward, consumed by the vast emptiness of the night. 

A black BMW came to a slow stop in front of her. The window glided down, revealing the face of a man whose features she had grown acquainted with over the past month. A wisp of smoke escaped her parted lips as she took in his presence, her thoughts momentarily suspended in the air.

"Hope I didn't keep you waiting, sweetheart. Get in. It's too cold to be standing outside."

Stepping towards the waiting vehicle, she gingerly opened the door, its hinges creaking softly in the night. The scent of worn leather and a hint of cologne embraced her as she settled into the passenger seat, seeking shelter from the biting cold. As the door closed with a gentle click, Brandy turned her attention to the man beside her, his features now illuminated by the soft glow of the dashboard lights.