five

CHAPTER 5:
November 11th, 2015
• • •

They left River with Veronica and drove back to NYC together yesterday. It was now Tuesday and Brandy had another group session to attend. They weren't doing her any good, but it was better than being home with Keith.

She had been avoiding him since their return, blaming him for being the reason why she couldn't take her son with her to NYC. If he didn't want to be River's father, that was fine by her. But she wanted to be his mother and deserved to be given a chance.

Brandy walked down the sidewalk, her mind consumed by these thoughts, and not even the music playing in her earbuds could drown them out. The community center in the Bronx where her sessions took place was within a reasonable distance from their apartment complex in Highbridge, thanks to Keith's salary providing them with a decent place to live. However, since it was a little far from the center, Brandy had to rely on public transport to get there.

Although the cold weather was bearable with her black puffer jacket and grey beanie, attending the session made her feel even colder. The environment was meant to be non-judgmental, but Brandy felt like every moment spent among others like herself was riddled with judgement. Unlike some of the other attendees who were there to turn their lives around, Brandy felt like the odd one out.

Brandy approached the community centre and paused in front of the glass doors, removing her earbuds, contemplating whether to go inside or turn back. Doubt crept in, and she wondered if there was even a point in being there if she was just going to go back home and use cocaine again. It all felt futile.

She took a step back, ready to leave before she was noticed, but accidentally bumped into something firm behind her.

"Woah, slow down, Brandy." The hands tightly gripping her shoulders prevented her from stumbling and falling to the ground. "Are you okay?"

Brandy reluctantly tilted her head back and winced at the sight of the Blondie's face. He was the last person she wanted to see. "I'm... okay."

"You got here on time, I'm surprised. Finally decided to take these sessions seriously?"

Blondie's remark was laced with a hint of sarcasm as he observed her punctuality. He tried to make light of the situation, but there was an underlying truth to his comment. Brandy knew that her attendance at these sessions was not entirely driven by a desire to improve herself, but rather a means to escape Keith's presence. Despite her attempts to conceal her true intentions, Blondie saw through her facade.

"I was just..." She quickly thought up an excuse to cover up her embarrassment. "Busy on those days so I came in late."

Blondie's hands fell from her shoulders and he tucked them into the pockets of his black coat, a smile on his face as he assessed her. "You're not busy today?"

She felt the heat rise to her cheeks as she was unable to muster a coherent response. Avoiding the piercing gaze of the blond-haired man, she shifted her attention to the pavement beneath her feet, internally berating herself for arriving earlier than usual. If she had come at her usual time, she could have avoided this uncomfortable encounter altogether. The awkwardness of the moment hung in the air, like a heavy fog that threatened to suffocate her.

"What's that on your face?"

She had almost forgotten about the bruise herself, if it weren't for his piercing observation. The memory of the night at Veronica's house came flooding back to her; the argument, Keith's violent outburst, and the painful mark he left behind. She mentally chided herself for not being more cautious and trying to conceal it. Now, she was faced with the inevitable barrage of questions from blondie, who was never one to let things slide without answers.