twenty-seven

CHAPTER 27:
December 3rd, 2015
• •

Brandy's fingers nervously grazed the soft fabric of the scarlet dress as she tugged at its hemline, uneasy about its scandalously short length. Ace had purchased the dress for her earlier that day with a twisted purpose in mind. She had been instructed to seduce a mysterious man whom Ace had been eager to meet. Her task was clear: lure him into a drunken stupor, and he would take care of the rest. Despite the nerves and guilt that gnawed at her conscience, Brandy knew that her role in this scheme was crucial. She was a mere pawn in Ace's game of deception, and the man inside the building would soon meet his untimely demise, but she had to take her own safety into account as well. 

She would have to put on a brave face and play her part convincingly if they were to succeed in their mission. She took a deep breath, and then another, and reminded herself that this was just a job. It was nothing personal. And yet, even as she reassured herself, she couldn't help but wonder what kind of person she was becoming, and where this path would ultimately lead her.

Ace's eyes narrowed as he watched Brandy fuss with the hem of the red dress. "Stop fucking tugging at the dress, you're gonna make it look all crooked," he growled. "And for fuck's sake, try to look like you've done this shit before. You're making me nervous."

Brandy's heart pounded in her chest, threatening to burst out of her body, as she glanced up at him. "I'll try, but I'm really nervous, Ace."

He grunted in response, his dark eyes scanning the street. "His place is just down the block," he said. "Remember, just be yourself. And don't forget the plan - get him drunk, get him horny, and then let me take care of the rest. Got it?"

"How do I do that? How do I make him want me? I've never been with anyone other than you and Keith before."

He let out a gruff chuckle at her question. "Oh, sweetheart," he said with a smirk, "you ain't gotta worry about that. Just do what comes natural, and he'll be putty in your hands."

Brandy's brow furrowed with confusion. "What do you mean, 'what comes natural'?"

Ace rolled his eyes, his expression turning impatient. "Shit, Brandy, you really don't know anything, do you? Just flirt with him, bat your eyelashes, touch him on the arm... you know, all that bullshit. And when he's had a few drinks, start getting touchy-feely. Rub up against him, whisper in his ear, maybe even give him a little kiss if you're feeling daring. Trust me, he'll be harder than a goddamn diamond."

Brandy felt her cheeks grow warm as she listened to Ace's advice. It all sounded so... sleazy. But she had to go through with it. For the sake of the mission, and for the sake of her own safety. 

"Okay." She nodded, her throat suddenly dry. "I can do that." 

The plan was simple enough, but the stakes were high. If they pulled this off, they would be one step closer to taking down the so-called snitch that Ace mentioned had given intel about the shipment to the cops. But if they failed... well, Brandy didn't even want to think about what would happen if they failed.

Ace clapped her on the back, his hand heavy on her shoulder. "That's my girl. Just remember - the clock is ticking. We don't have all night to play games."

Taking a deep breath, she straightened her shoulders and tried to project an air of confidence. They got out of the car and started the brief journey, Ace holding her hand firmly as they walked, but she struggled to keep up in these black heels and she was freezing because she didn't bring a coat. 

The air was thick with the scent of cigarette smoke and garbage, and the sounds of car horns and shouting voices blared in her ears. She looked around at the unfamiliar faces, unease settling in the pit of her stomach.