twenty-five

CHAPTER 25:
November 29th, 2015
• • •

Brandy and Ace entered the dimly lit nightclub, the pulsating bass of the music instantly engulfed her senses. The air was thick with a mixture of sweat, perfume, and cigarette smoke, assaulting her nose and making it hard to breathe. The club was packed with people of all ages, dressed in an array of flashy outfits that made her feel out of place in her simple black dress. 

His grip on her hand was firm, and she could feel his muscles tense as they made their way through the crowd. The throngs of people jostled against them, and she stumbled several times before they finally reached a secluded booth in the back. 

As they approached, two men looked up from their conversation, their faces inscrutable. Brandy's heart began to race as she realized that she had no idea why they were there or what they wanted from her or Ace. Her eyes darted around the booth, taking in the expensive liquor bottles. She was out of her comfort zone, completely out of her element in this world of high-stakes dealings. They didn't look like the regular old junkies she had seen at his place, but people who held much more power in whatever world they came from. 

Ace slid into the booth, and Brandy reluctantly sat down beside him. She had no idea what was about to happen, but one thing was for sure - she was in deep water just for being in association with Ace, and there was no turning back now.

"Took you long enough," one of them said. The dim lighting cast shadows across their faces, making it difficult for her to make out their features. 

"I had something to take care of." 

"More like someone," the man mused, eyeing Brandy up and down like he was trying to see through her clothes. 

The other one chuckled darkly. There was something about them that made her uneasy, like they were hiding something.

"She's with me. Don't worry about her."

The first man arched an eyebrow. "She doesn't look like she's in the business," he said, his tone skeptical. "What's she doing here?"

Ace's smile turned wry. "She's just along for the ride." His eyes flicked towards Brandy briefly. "But she's got a good head on her shoulders. She knows how to keep her mouth shut."

She bristled at the implication that she was just a tagalong, but she held her tongue. She knew better than to make a scene in a place like this, surrounded by men who clearly had no qualms about using violence to get what they wanted.

Ace seemed attuned to her discomfort, however, and wrapped his arm around her waist. "We're here to discuss business. Tony," he called the first man, blonde and scruffy, who wouldn't rip his gaze away from her. "I need to know about those shipments. When can I expect them?"

The two men exchanged a glance before Tony of them spoke up. "We've got a shipment coming in two weeks," he said, his voice slightly muted by the thumping bass of the music in the club. "If you're interested, we can make arrangements for you to get your share."

"That's what I like to hear. How much are we talking?"

Alex, the second guy dug in his pockets and tossed a baggie of coke on the table, leaning back in his seat, his expression equally as serious as Ace's and Tony's. "We've got plenty to go around. And the price is negotiable, depending on the quantity you're looking for."

Ace nodded, taking the baggie and putting it in his own pocket. "We're interested in a sizable amount," he said, his eyes locked on the man's face. "We need to restock our supply, and me and my guys are willing to pay top dollar for the right product."