8th-The Past

We arrive at the facility to have a quick practice before tomorrow's game. Luckily, I don't have to practice with Ryujin today. Since I played yesterday, I'm just doing strength and conditioning types of exercises today to give my arm a break from throwing. 

"So you and Ryujin dated huh?" I panic hearing someone say it.

I turn around and Mina is smirking. She's our closer. She usually pitches during close games in the end to relieve the starting pitchers or relief pitchers.

"How did you know?" I ask.

"You two weren't really quiet on the plane" she laughs and I facepalm myself.

"Does the whole team know now?" I feel stupid for starting that conversation in the plane.

She shakes her head, "Everyone else had their headphones on."

"Please don't tell anyone" I beg.

"I won't but do you still love her?" She suddenly asks.

"What? No!"

She raises both of her hands, "Calm down. No need to get all defensive."

"You know I have a girlfriend. You can't say things like that. She knows she's my ex" I explain myself.

"I'm just kidding but it doesn't sound like you two ended on good terms though. Is it gonna affect the team?" I see now why she's bringing this up to me.

"It won't. She's all about being professional. Our issues won't affect the team at all. You have nothing to worry about" I try to convince her.

She sighs, "Okay but the moment that I see it's affecting the team then I'll have to intervene."

"Okay" I just agree.

"I better warm up" she grabs her glove and goes.

"Shit" I curse as soon as she leaves.

"Yeji, why aren't you doing your exercises!?" The team manager shouts so I immediately start with push ups.

I really regret confronting Ryujin earlier. I should have kept my mouth shut. I never should have thought she would try to sabotage my career in the first place. Ryujin wouldn't do anything like that.

Maybe I decided to think about her in that way to give myself reasons to not want to see her or have her around. Seeing her just brings out all the guilt that I suppressed over the years.

I then remember what she said how this country haunts her. She didn't want to live here because it's painful. Was it because of me? Did I drive her to go to Japan?

I finish my exercises then I get on the bus to take us back to our hotel. Lia stayed there because she was feeling tired.

I'm the first one on the bus so I take this opportunity to text Minnie to see if she'll text me back. I've been sending her messages whenever I get a chance but she won't answer.

I put away my phone when the the team starts getting on. Chaeryeong sits at the front because of her injury. I shouldn't have sat in the middle of the bus.

One by one, all the seats start filling up. Ryujin is the last one to get one and the universe must hate me because the only available seat is the one next to me.

She quietly sits down without making eye contact with me. She quickly puts on her headphones and I don't blame her.

The ride to the hotel is only ten minutes long but it feels like it's been an hour and we're still not there.

After what felt like eternity, we arrive at the hotel. Ryujin stands up without looking at me. I don't know why that bothers me a bit. There are other people around so she should at least pretend that we're okay. What if Mina sees and thinks we're not being professional?