Chapter Eight

I just realized I haven't exactly added a new chapter in a little while...so here you are! Chapter Eight! Isabelle up top.

*The next day, 6:30 AM*

        I ran the brush over Faith once more, before putting it away in my grooming basket and taking a step back, admiring my work. I had been brushing her since five this morning, and it showed. Her coat gleamed light gold, and her mane was a creamy white. Faith nickered, shoving her muzzle into my hands, snuffling around for a treat. I laughed, pulling a carrot out of my pocket. She ate it quickly, crunching down on it rather noisily. Faith searched for more, nosing me so hard I nearly fell over. "Not now, girl." I told her. "Maybe later."

        I checked Faith's leg for the fifth time that day, and it seemed the same as all other times. Only one more day until I could start seriously riding her again. I could hop on her back and lie down now, though. So I did exactly that. I looked at the roof, letting my imagination carry me away.

        At 6:55, I hopped off Faith, exiting her stall and locking it behind me. I expected Finnick would be here at 7:00, because, like me, he liked waking up early. Sure enough, as I approached the barn door, I heard thundering hoofbeats. I stepped outside, and recognized the familiar gleam of a smoky black coat, and the hunched shape of a rider on the horse's back. Nightshade slid to a stop, western-style, and Finnick jumped off. "Hey, Kennedy!" he exclaimed when he saw me.

        "Hi, Finnick," I replied, smiling before giving him a stern glare. "I hope you didn't ride Nightshade too hard, because we'll be doing all the stuff today." I said, pretending to scold him.

        "My apologies, Oh Amazing Horse Master," Finnick said dramatically.

        "You're hopeless," I muttered, shaking my head and walking over to him, giving him a light punch on the arm. "Come on, you can tie Nightshade up while I tack up Lexington."

        "Lexington? What happened to Lady?" Finnick asked, tilting his head slightly at me. I realized that I hadn't told him that Lady was gone. I had told him that we were moving to Kentucky, and that I was taking Faith, but at the time I hadn't mentioned Lady.

        "Oh...Mom sold her. I was only able to take Faith and Whistle, all the other horses are gone. Even Bruno is gone," I added, referring to my dad's German Shepard. "Lexington is a stable horse. Gray Thoroughbred/Quarter Horse cross, so he'll be able to keep up with Nightshade, too."

       "I'm sorry about Lady," he said. "I guess I should've realized, when you were so angry about Faith, and that you rode another horse to the woods. Who's horse was that, then?"

        "That was Fernidad. Charlie owns him. Parker's brother." I explained. "Also, Parker was only there last night because he saw the note, and I didn't want to risk him telling. Also, I wouldn't have gotten a ride without him." I added, feeling strangely defensive.

        "Well, you go get Lexington tacked up, and we can go for a cross-country ride. We can do some showjumping later, too." Finnick said, giving me a wicked grin. I rolled my eyes, remembering how good of a showjumper he was. "Fine! Fine. But we're going for a trail ride too," I bargained.