Chapter Seventeen

After Finnick and I had walked in the general direction that Isabelle had pointed, I found a shiny, black, six-horse trailer, with four horses tethered to tie rings that were on the side. When I saw the metallic cremello coat of Duchess, my heart soared and a grin broke out across my face. I had found her! Jogging over to the trailer, Finnick followed me more slowly, glancing around like we shouldn't be here for some reason. As if anything we did would be more wrong than stealing my horse.

"Duchess! I was unable to stop myself from crying out her name as I reached her. She gave a soft nicker, snuffling as she nosed my pockets. "Oh, silly girl. You'll get treats after the show! For now, let's get you back while no one's here."

I said it too soon.

"What are you doing?" I heard a voice from behind me. I turned to see a tall girl with caramel-toned skin, short, wavy black hair with caramel-colored highlights, and dark brown eyes.

"I'm getting my horse, thank you very much!" I snapped, and the girl looked slightly taken aback.

"Your horse?" she asked, matching my tone.

"Yes, my horse! She was gone from my trailer, and someone from my stables said she saw you leading her off! You stole her, and I'm taking her back!" My temper flared, and my voice rose as I spoke.

The girl just gave me a confused look. "I didn't steal her! I found her wandering around amongst the trailers, and she was bothering some of the other horses, so I caught her and brought her back here since I didn't know who she belonged to."

Wait, what? "You-why should I believe you?" I said, trying to cover up my shock. Was she telling the truth? She could easily be lying...

She shrugged. "I don't know, maybe just take my word for it? Why would I want to steal your horse? How do I know that you're her real owner?"

I threw my hands up in exasperation. "Okay, I may not own her, but I'm certainly riding her today, and her owner is the person who owns the stables I ride at, Mike!"

"Wait... you're that rider that got invited to the Kentucky Five-star, aren't you?" The girl asked.

I looked her, surprised. "How do you know about that?"

Finnick spoke for the first time, and I jumped a little, for I had forgotten that he was there. "You got invited to the Kentucky Five-star, Kennedy? When?" He almost sounded a bit hurt that I hadn't told him. After all, we had been friends on the eventing circuit for a while now.

"Just after I realized Duchess was missing, a scout for the event came and told me if I did well enough in my other events, I would get an invitation. I didn't get a chance to tell you," I added defensively. Then I realized that I was getting sidetracked.

Just as I opened my mouth to say something else to the girl, a voice I realized belonged to Mr. Andrews, the scout from earlier, interupted me. "Ah, Kennedy! I see that you've met my daughter, Rayni."