Chapter Nineteen

I'm here again! Sorta quickly too, riiiight? RIGHT? RIIIIIGHHTTT? anyway. here you go. Charlie up top.

I half-dragged, half-threw the heavy western saddle onto Duchess's back, grunting slightly at the weight. Faith's western saddle was, very conveniently, fairly light. Unfortunately, this meant that I was startled by the weight of this one. Ah, well.

I finished tightening up the cinch, then went to grab the bridle. It had these cool blue tassels hanging down the sides that I adored. As I looked at the time, I rushed to untie Duchess, for I realized that it was later than I thought. I had to get over to the warm-up arena to get the excitable Akhal-Teke prepared.

I sat deep in my saddle, bringing Duchess down to a walk. I exited the warm-up arena, wanting to watch the round of the rider before me.

"Evelyn Winters on RSS Dance with the Devil into the arena next, please!"

My jaw dropped. Evelyn Winters? She used to be my favorite eventer! I had heard that she had some sort of accident or something and swapped over to doing barrel racing, but I hadn't expected to see her here!

She was on a beautiful black horse, who I presumed was RSS Dance with the Devil. The pair shot towards the first barrel, and I was shocked by Evelyn's skill. I couldn't believe that I would be competing again my literal eventing idol in barrel racing! This was like, a dream come true for me.

As the pair crossed the finish line, the announcer was saying their time. They were in first place, and I wasn't super surprised. Evelyn Winters was an amazing rider.

"Next up we have Kennedy Hawkings on Sky Full of Stars! Two former eventing stars competing in the same event, this is a treat!" I rolled my eyes. Really? Two former eventing stars? I still do eventing! Honestly.

I squeezed Duchess forward, and she walked into the arena. I decided to try an old trick that always worked on Faith to get her going well in barrel racing. I stopped Duchess, and turned her so that she was facing away from the barrels. After a moment, I pivoted her quickly, and she burst into a gallop underneath me, ready to turn around the first barrel.

Duchess almost knocked the barrel over, but luckily it managed to stay up. I was caught up in the thrill of galloping around the barrels, and it felt like time was moving so slowly yet so quickly at the same time. Duchess rounded the last barrel, and it felt like we were flying as she galloped home.

As Duchess crossed the line, I pulled her into a walk and exited. When we were clear of the arena and the next round was starting, I halted her and threw my arms around her neck, giving her a pat. "Good girl, Duchess!" I told her. She snorted, tossing her head, and I laughed, sitting back up in my saddle. 

"Hey, nice round." I twisted in my saddle towards the voice. My jaw dropped as I recognized Evelyn Winters. I quickly slammed my mouth closed, embarrassed. "Uh- hi!"

"You're Kennedy, right?" I nodded mutely. Why was Evelyn Winters talking to me, of all people? Evelyn smiled.

"I'm Evelyn Winters. This boy is Raven," she said, patting the black horse beneath her.

"He's beautiful," I finally responded.

"Your horse is too. What's her name?"

"This is Duchess. She's not mine, but I'm using her right now." I answered, patting the cremello's neck.

"That's a gorgeous name. Oh, look! They're announcing the results already" Evelyn smiled and trotted Raven back towards the arena. I followed to hear the placings.

"Aaaand in third place we have... Parker Rodriguez on A Golden Sun!" I saw Parker out of the corner of my eye just before he rode Faith forward at a trot to collect his yellow third place ribbon.

Second place went to someone called Megan on a horse called Hot Sauce, who, as far as I could tell, was a bay quarter horse.

"And in first place... Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... Evelyn Winters on RSS Dance with the Devil!" The crowd erupted in applause, and I joined in. Evelyn definitely deserved the win, and she was talented enough to win, too.

I dismounted, leading Duchess back to the trailer. The mare deserved a rest after her spectacular performances today, I figured. We'd all probably be heading back to Pine Road Stables soon anyways; Parker was the only one with an event left. I figured I might as well watch the pole bending after I finished with Duchess, and hopefully I could catch his round in time.

I stowed Duchess's tack away in the small tack room area of the trailer, and I checked her hay net and slipknot before nodding, satisfied. I patted Duchess one last time before walking off towards the arena where the pole bending was being held.

I got there just in time. Parker was just starting his round, with Faith sprinting beside the poles until she reached the end of the line, where she made a sharp turn and began to weave. Watching Faith weave so elegantly between the poles, her ears pricked forward in excitement. If I didn't know that Faith was a showjumper at heart, I probably would have thought she was a western horse, born and bred.

As soon as Faith crossed the line, Parker riding her as intensely as always, I turned and walked back to get Duchess ready to load. Today had been a good day, I supposed.

Now, all I had to do was wait for a letter from Mr. Andrews, either accepting or denying me entrance to the Kentucky Five-Star. It was going to be a looooooooong week.

THERE YOU GO, READERS! CHAPTER NINETEEN! Also Evelyn Winters and RSS Dance with the Devil (aka Raven) both belong to MyponyLunaM00n and they were only here because of a crossover! Hopefully ya'll enjoyed!

Glorybringer1163