Chapter 3

The brunette boy placed his belongings by the side of the bed and waved his wand, unpacking his things with a flick of his wrist. "Free at last!" he exclaimed, a feeling of excitement surging through him. He missed using magic.

Ominis did the same.

"I must admit, I haven't had much of a chance to get to know Poppy before today. But now that I have, I must say she's quite ... sweet," Ominis remarked, followed by a grin at his own choice of words.

Laughter erupted from Alfie. "Do you fancy Poppy?"

Ominis's face turned red. "No! I just meant that it was nice to actually get to know her. I've only heard whispers about her around the castle. "

Alfie froze, feeling something brewing up inside his gut. "Like what?" He asked pointedly.

Ominis noticed the change in Alfie's tone and realized he may have said something he shouldn't have. "Oh, just rumors and gossip. You know how it is in Hogwarts," he said with a shrug, hoping to brush it off.

"Tell me," Alfie demanded.

Ominis sighed. "People called her silly names such as Peculiar Poppy. At one point she came to potions class smelling rather strange in our 2nd year, probably from some sort of magical beast she was caring for. Everyone called her Pungent Poppy for weeks."

"Did you call her that?" Alfie's tone was accusatory.

"I did not bully Sweeting if that's what you're insinuating. People have plenty to say about me being a Gaunt, so don't you dare accuse me of such a thing," said Ominis, clearly annoyed with Alfie at this point.

"Good," Alfie answered tersely.

"Maybe you're the one with the crush," muttered Ominis under his breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

It went quiet for a while. As Alfie finished putting away the last of his things, he thought of when he and Poppy had fought off poachers in a fighting ring tent to save that tortured dragon last year. When one poacher tried to sneak up behind Poppy, Alfie reacted quickly, hitting him with a blasting curse. From that moment on, he felt a fierce need to protect her.

Maybe that's why he reacted so strongly when Ominis mentioned Poppy being bullied. He would confront anyone who dared to hurt her.

The door of the dormitory opened and Sebastian Sallow entered the dormitory, breaking the deafening silence. "You guys finally made it! It's boring without the two of you here," he said with a mischievous grin.

"Hello Sebastian, It's good to see you." Alfie greeted, putting on a cheerful tone although he still felt a lingering bitterness about what had happened the previous year.

"Did you get here early this morning? " Ominis asked.

"Yup. I've been in the library to pass the time."

"Restricted section I presume?" Alfie asked.

"I'm offended Alfie. Do you think I'd be breaking the rules already? It's not even the first day of class yet!" Joked Sebastian.

Alfie shot him a cold look. He couldn't trust that he wasn't up to no good. "I'm in need of a bath. I woke up late today so I haven't had the chance to wash up. I'm feeling rather... pungent." Alfie looked over at Ominis who let out a chuckle. "I'll be back shortly to join you both for dinner."

Sebastian sensed something was off. "Okay..."

Alfie left the room with a change of clothes and a towel in hand.

"What was that about?" Sebastian asked Ominis.

"He's probably tired. We've both had a long day getting here," Ominis said dismissively.

"Hmph, okay." Sebastian didn't quite believe that explanation. 

--Great Hall--

As the three boys made their way into the Great Hall, Alfie couldn't help but notice the curious glances and hushed whispers directed their way. He could feel the weight of stares from fellow students as they walked towards the Slytherin table. Some looked intrigued, while others appeared wary or suspicious.

He kept his head held high, trying to appear unfazed by the attention. Ominis, being used to the stares and whispers due to his infamous family name, seemed unperturbed. Sebastian, on the other hand, seemed to revel in the attention, flashing a confident smile at those who looked their way.

They took their seats around the middle of the table. "Why is everyone staring at us?" Alfie asked.

"People are gossiping about how you saved Hogwarts last year," Ominis explained and paused for a moment. "A few of our female classmates took notice and seemed to take an interest in us as well."

"Oh really? Like who?" Sebastian asked inquisitively, his eyebrow raised.

"It's tough to discern voices from whispers Sebastian. And besides, I doubt they're genuine. It's probably because we're hanging out with the Hero of Hogwarts."

Sebastian groaned in defeat. "You're probably right Ominis. I'm just second best to all these girls when I'm next to Alfie."

Ominis's brows furrowed. "I suppose that makes me third best. Thanks for that Sebastian."

"Can we talk about something else?" Alfie sighed. He didn't like to be reminded of how he saved Hogwarts. Although it sounded heroic, he lost those who were dear to him. Lodgok. Professor Fig. All he wanted was a normal year at Hogwarts so he didn't have to risk losing anyone else.

"Where is that Slytherin ambition Alfie? You should be proud that people know your name," Sebastion remarked.

Alfie rolled his eyes.

"Welcome, students!" Professor Black's voice boomed across the Great Hall from the pedestal at the front.

"Settle down now, settle down." The chatter among the students gradually subsided.

"I would like to extend a warm welcome to the beginning of the year festivities! We will begin shortly with the sorting ceremony, followed by the feast. But first, I have an important announcement to make. After much deliberation with the staff, we have decided to lift the ban on Quidditch!"

Professor Black's announcement was met with a chorus of excited murmurs and cheers from the students. Alfie looked towards Imelda a few seats down. She was one of the loudest to cheer.

"I know, I know. It's all very, ahem, exciting. But let me remind you all to please stay out of trouble," Professor Black said with a tone of caution. "In light of the events of last year, we've received numerous inquiries from your parents about your safety, and I assure you that Hogwarts has never been safer."

He continued, "I would like to reiterate the strict 10 pm curfew, avoidance of the restricted section, and a reminder that second-year students and below are not allowed to leave the castle grounds. Erm...what were the other rules?" Professor Black looked at Professor Weasley, who shot him a disapproving look.

"Never mind that, I assume you all know how to read. The prefects will be posting the rules in your respective common rooms. Please educate yourselves on the rules that have been there since day one." Professor Black donned an accomplished look on his face. He must've thought his speech was remarkable.

Sebastian frowned. "The prefects are going to be an even more pain in the arse."

"And with that, let the sorting ceremony begin!"