Chapter 6

During the first week at Hogwarts, students found themselves overwhelmed with a variety of activities such as sorting out extracurriculars, attending classes, and catching up with friends. Alfie was no exception and had plenty on his plate.

When he went to visit the Room of Requirement and his vivariums, he noticed that his absence had caused tension and distrust. The creatures were not as friendly as they used to be and some even hissed at him when he approached.

Determined to regain their trust, Alfie made it a point to visit the Room of Requirement when he could between classes. He brought them treats and played with them, slowly building back the bond that had been lost during his absence. He had Deek to feed and care for them over the Summer but it was a shame that they seemed to have thought he abandoned them.

Toward the end of the week, he received an owl from Lucan Brattleby. He wrote to him shortly after the bird incident with Poppy and asked if she could be invited to the Crossed Wands Duelling Club.

Hi Alfie,

My Summer was good, thank you. If you vouch for her, that's all I need to know. Have her come to the first Crossed Wands meeting this Saturday at 9 a.m.

Regards,

Lucan

Alfie beamed. Of course, he could tell Poppy in person but he wanted to make her invitation to her first extracurricular activity special.

He remembered the moment when he received his official letter to Hogwarts and how significant it was for him. Unfortunately, the circumstances that led to him receiving his letter were not ideal. Alfie was bullied severely at his school in London and at one point one of his bullies, Ezra Thomas, was struck by lightning on a sunny day whilst terrorizing Alfie. If this had been an isolated incident it might have been dismissed as bad luck, but more strange things continued to happen to his bullies when Alfie was around. Many students and teachers began to fear his presence. When his Hogwarts letter finally arrived, it was a relief to Alfie and his parents as they finally received answers about his magical predisposition.

He intended to convey to Poppy that this invitation was significant, that there were those who were willing to include her in their social circles. He took out the finest piece of parchment that he could find and began to write.

Dear Ms. Poppy Sweeting,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into the Crossed Wands Duelling Club. Please report to the Clock Tower Courtyard entrance in The South Wing this Saturday at 9 a.m.

We very much look forward to receiving you as a member of this prestigious, exclusive, and unsanctioned club.

Yours sincerely,

Alfie Scamander

Crossed Wands Duelling Club Champion

Alfie placed it in an envelope and sealed it with his personal wax seal marked with his initials. Impressed with his work, he summoned his snowy white owl.

"Hello, Celeste. This will be a short one, unfortunately. Please take this to Poppy Sweeting."

The owl obliged and carried on with its task, letter in tow.

–Clock Tower Courtyard Entrance–

Alfie was one of the first ones to show up at the gathering for the first-ever Crossed Wands Duelling Club meeting of the school year. The few others were Lucan Brattleby, Leander Prewett, and Natsai Onai.