Chapter 10

"Oh, don't cry, my dear," her mother uttered insincerely, slowly approaching them with her arms outstretched as if anticipating her daughter's embrace. Alfie began to notice a resemblance between the two, though there was a sinister gleam in her eyes. She lacked the warmth and genuine kindness that Poppy exuded.

With determination in her eyes, Poppy swiftly wiped away her tears with her sleeve and gripped her wand firmly. She pointed it towards her mother, her brows furrowed and her body poised in a defensive dueling stance. Her voice carried a stern warning, "Don't come any closer!"

"Tsk, tsk. It's no use, Angus, she's as stubborn as your mother," Poppy's mother remarked, crossing her arms in a huff.

"It seems that way, Violette. It's truly a pity that our only child has turned out to be such a disappointment. Where did we make our mistakes?" Angus mused, his gaze shifting between Poppy and Alfie. The comment provoked a surge of anger on Alfie's face. How could they speak this way about their own daughter?

The man's malevolent gaze fixated on the young wizard. "You there," he sneered, "You have something that doesn't rightfully belong to you. Return it, and perhaps I'll consider showing you leniency."

"Never!" Alfie defied, as he carefully watched the man's movement for any sign of an impending attack.

"Very well, then. Have it your way. Confringo!"

"Protego!" Alfie was quick.

"Ah, the young boy has reflexes. Intriguing."

"How dare you!" Poppy proclaimed through gritted teeth. "Levioso!"

Both Violette and Angus hovered in the air, caught by the element of surprise.

"Descendo!" Alfie chanted forcefully, directing his spell towards Angus. The spell struck with a powerful force, causing Angus to be forcefully thrown to the ground. The impact created a shockwave that sent Violette tumbling backward, crashing into a stack of crates rendering her unconscious.

"Why you insolent brat! You'll pay for that!" Angus seethed with anger, rising from the ground and directing spells toward them.

"Diffindo! Stupefy! Bombarda!"

Each spell from Poppy's father was masterfully countered or dodged, causing him to become more erratic in his spell casting.

As the intensity of the duel increased, the commotion stirred the other creatures in the camp. Cages rattled, and the creatures inside grew restless and agitated, their primal instincts heightening the tension in the camp.

Alfie sensed her father's frantic wand movement and began to fear that the man would soon resort to desperate measures. I've been here before. The energy was reminiscent of that fateful day in the scriptorium.

"Poppy, I need you to stay back," Alfie warned.

"What? Alfie! Whatever for?" She asked, surprised and confused.

"I said stay back!" He commanded.

"Crucio!" The spell whizzed past Alfie's head.

The ruby spark narrowly missed Poppy who was pushed away to safety by an invisible force that began to wail. The Demiguise revealed itself, writhing in excruciating pain.

Alfie saw red. He rushed towards Angus, who attempted to cast a spell towards him but Alfie cut him off. "Expelliarmus!" The man's wand flung far away from them.

Fueled by anger and adrenaline, the enraged boy abandoned his wand and resorted to physical force. He unleashed a powerful punch, connecting squarely with Angus's face. The impact was so forceful that the man was sent sprawling to the ground, his body crumpling under the unexpected blow. The resounding thud echoed through the camp, momentarily silencing the chaos. The sheer audacity of the boy's punch left everyone stunned, including the creatures, who watched with wide eyes as the scene unfolded.