Chapter 16

Ominis POV

Earlier that morning, Ominis met with Poppy in the Undercroft to delve into her theories regarding her parents' presence and the possible connection to the rising poacher activity.

Poppy strongly believed that there was a correlation, although she lacked concrete evidence. Ominis, acknowledging the potential danger associated with poachers and their affiliation with dark wizards, pledged to assist her in any way possible.

Understanding the intertwined nature of the poachers and dark wizards, Ominis resolved to leverage his family connections to unravel the true motives behind their actions. With his network and resources at his disposal, he aimed to provide Poppy with the answers she sought.

It was before the start of the History of Magic class that Ominis ran into Alfie Scamander. He had just escorted Poppy back to the Hufflepuff table for breakfast and had to leave quickly to not be late for class. It was a surprise to him that Alfie had to speak to him so urgently, given that they were dorm mates and they saw each other just last night before bed. 

"I'm going to be late for History of Magic. Now really isn't the most opportune moment," Ominis stated, his expression marked with displeasure.

"It's important. You're always asleep in that class anyway, and Professor Binns hardly takes notice, " Alfie countered, refusing to take no for an answer. 

Ominis sighed, "If whatever you're going to tell me is really that important, I suppose I can skip it. Let's walk."

The duo made their way to the viaduct bridge and settled on one of the nearby benches. The autumn breeze gently swept through, carrying a refreshing ambiance. With most students either at breakfast or attending classes, they found solace in the relative privacy of their current location.

"So, what is it that you wanted to discuss?" Ominis inquired, his curiosity piqued.

Alfie took a moment to compose himself before proceeding. "There's a rumor circulating—or rather, it's bound to circulate soon."

Ominis scoffed dismissively. "Did you seriously pull me aside to talk about trivial school gossip?"

"Please, just listen," Alfie pleaded, a hint of urgency in his voice. "I was attempting to mend things between Adelaide and Sebastian. She was upset after hearing about Poppy and Sebastian being together at the Three Broomsticks on Saturday."

"Oh?" Ominis recollected that particular day at Hogsmeade. He had chosen not to go to the Three Broomsticks, finding the atmosphere suffocating and unpredictable in terms of its crowdedness.

Alfie continued, "I assured Adelaide that Poppy didn't view Sebastian in a romantic light. However, before I could object, she jumped to the conclusion that Poppy actually had feelings for you and rushed away."

Ominis remained silent, taking in the weight of Alfie's words. His bond with Poppy had grown stronger, especially after their shared night in the kitchens. He comforted her and listened to her talk about her trauma and although he hated to admit it, he had a secret of his own. 

During the summer, he devoted considerable time to practicing Legilimency. As the Heir of Slytherin, he always had the ability to learn it quickly but he never had the desire to until recently.