Chapter 7

Shortly after the Crossed Wands gathering, a throng of Hogwarts students filled the Three Broomsticks. Sebastian's invitation to celebrate Poppy's victory quickly spread amongst the duelists and their friends. Moreover, Lucan could finally join them as he was now a third-year, giving everyone another reason to celebrate. Tavern songs and occasional chants for Poppy and Lucan filled the air and everyone was intoxicated with jovial energy and Butterbeer.

"Are you having fun?!" Alfie asked loudly to Poppy, trying to strike up conversation.

"What? I didn't quite catch that!" She stood on her toes to bring her face closer to Alfie in an effort to hear amongst the crowd.

Alfie leaned forward, inches away from her cheek. "I said, are you-"

"Poppy! Come sit with us!" Astoria Crickett abruptly pulled her towards another table surrounded by other girls from the dueling club. Poppy gave him a guilty expression and mouthed the word "sorry" to Alfie before being swept away. Her sudden popularity made it difficult for Alfie to have a conversation with her.

He stood in the corner of the tavern with Ominis who didn't like these types of crowded places. Ominis was dragged along by Sebastian, insistent that he should come, yet Sebastian was nowhere to be seen.

Seeking respite, Alfie made his way upstairs to a slightly quieter area of the tavern. Leaning over the railing, he gazed down at the crowd below, scanning it until he spotted Poppy engrossed in conversation with the group of girls.

As he observed Poppy from above, Alfie couldn't help but contemplate his feelings towards her. Until that moment in the Clock Tower Courtyard, he had only considered her a friend. But now, he couldn't shake the notion that there might be something more between them.

He marveled at the way her hazel eyes sparkled with excitement and the animated gestures of her hands as she talked. Poppy hasn't changed, but perhaps Alfie did.

Last year, the young wizard had been so preoccupied with settling into Hogwarts, managing Sebastian's misbehavior, navigating the Keeper's tedious trials, and discovering his own newfound abilities to consider the possibility of something more with Poppy.

Alfie let out another heavy breath, his frustration mounting. He couldn't understand why he was feeling this way, but no matter how hard he tried to push the thought away, it kept resurfacing. He gazed down at Poppy once more, studying the way she laughed and smiled, completely unaware of the turmoil that was churning within him. Despite his efforts to ignore it, he knew that this feeling wasn't going to disappear anytime soon. He sighed again.

"Why do you sound like someone kicked your puffskein?" Ominis asked with his blinking wand in hand, rescuing Alfie from his thoughts.

Alfie was startled by Ominis' sudden appearance. "Merlin's beard, Ominis. Where did you come from?"

"I followed you. You left me down there with all those people. You know I hate these sort of things," Ominis pouted.

"You can blame Sebastian for that. Where is he, by the way?" Alfie asked.

Ominis sighed and shrugged. "I never know where that boy is." He leaned against the railing next to Alfie with his arms crossed, "What's wrong with you? Why were you sighing like that?"

What was wrong with me? Alfie wasn't quite sure himself.

"I guess I hate these types of things too," he fibbed and found himself searching down below for a glimpse Poppy once more.  He shut his eyes and shook his head.

Ominis raised an eyebrow. "Let's leave then, I grow weary of this place."

Just as the two boys were about to take their leave, a familiar soft voice made Alfie's heart stutter.