Chapter 19

Several weeks elapsed. Alfie and Poppy maintained their customary routine of visiting Highwing and her newfound companion, Greyfeather, at least once a week. On some occasions, the two hippogriffs appeared disinterested or somewhat hostile toward each other, but most visits were overall positive.

Poppy's popularity in the school began to flourish. She formed friendships with Lenora, Natty, and Samantha, and the quartet could often be spotted across the school grounds engaged in lively conversations and laughter.

Despite their limited interaction beyond classes and extracurricular commitments, Alfie was happy to see that Poppy was finally making her way into other social circles around the school.

Quidditch tryouts came and went. Much to Alfie's surprise, he secured a spot as a Chaser on the Quidditch team. Imelda initially celebrated his success, but her mood soured upon learning that Sebastian had earned the position of Keeper.

Alfie had hoped that Poppy would participate in the tryouts, but when he inquired, she explained that she was occupied with other commitments. While he felt a tinge of disappointment, he empathized, knowing that his own schedule hardly allowed for much free time either.

Amidst the whirlwind of his extracurricular engagements, Alfie dedicated substantial effort to his academic pursuits. In the prior year, he had earned an Outstanding in both Defense Against the Dark Arts and Care for Magical Creatures. With graduation on the horizon, he nurtured aspirations of forging a promising career that would involve both fields.

He diligently maintained correspondence with his parents, exchanging letters frequently. Their habit of sending missives his way at least twice a week became a cherished routine. Each letter from them seemed to evoke a profound sense of yearning, underscoring how much he missed their presence.

One particular morning he was fervently penning a letter to his parents.

Dear mum and dad,

It's great to hear that Mrs. Blaine's birthday party went well. I deeply regret that I wasn't able to attend. I miss you all.

The seasons are changing and Winter is just around the corner. I'm counting down the days until I can see you soon.

He pondered for a moment, his quill pressed on his cheek as he bit his lip.

He smiled.

If it's alright, I'd like for you to meet someone from school over Winter Break. Her name is Poppy and she lives with her grandmother just outside of London. Perhaps we can have them over for dinner sometime.

Love always,

Your son, Alfie

He looked over his words thrice, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

"Hey Alfie! Ready for Quidditch practice?" Imelda's voice came from behind him, and he quickly folded up the letter, sliding it out of sight.

"I, uh, thought practice was scheduled for later this afternoon," Alfie stammered, his face turning slightly red.

Imelda's initial smile morphed into a scowl. "You need to stay on top of the schedule, Alfie. Our first Quidditch game is only a few weeks away."

Alfie was taken aback, convinced that practice was set for a different time. Arguing with Imelda wouldn't help, though.

"I'll gather my gear," he muttered, turning to leave. He made his way back to his dormitory, carefully stowing the letter in his nightstand. As he changed into his Quidditch robes, he noticed Sebastian still in bed.