Chapter 18

Ominis POV

"Today's lesson will be about Boggarts. Can anyone enlighten us on what a Boggart is?" Professor Hecat inquired, addressing the class of sixth-year students.

"A Boggart is a non-being that takes on the form of the observer's worst fear," Leander confidently responded.

"Correct, Prewett! Ten points for Gryffindor!" Professor Hecat acknowledged with a smile, conjuring a sizable object nearby. "Boggarts usually lurk in dark and confined spaces, like this armoire. It is vital not to let fear consume you. The incantation necessitates a firm mind and intense focus."

Suddenly, a rustle and a creak filled the air, followed by a roaring sound akin to that of a lion. "Ridikkulus!" Professor Hecat called out, prompting bursts of laughter from the students.

"That was a Chimaera! They're incredibly rare creatures!" Poppy exclaimed, clearly in disbelief.

"Ah, and that's where you may be mistaken, Ms. Sweeting. It's crucial to remember that the forms taken by Boggarts are not real. That's the key to overcoming them," Professor Hecat clarified.

"Alright, everyone, up!"

Ominis made sure to stand away from any desks, not wanting to stumble over them like he had many times before.

The desks scraped over to either side of the classroom abruptly. He quietly made his way to the back corner, hoping he wouldn't be noticed.

Screams followed by laughter echoed throughout the room as the students took turns facing the Boggart. The scene repeated over and over again.

"Mr. Gaunt, I believe you're the last one," Professor Hecat finally called out.

Ominis sighed heavily, making his way toward the armoire, his wand tightly clutched in his hand, guiding him through the fearful path ahead. He was trembling with anxiety over the secrets the Boggart might expose.

His mind raced with desperate thoughts. How could he escape this ordeal? Pretend to be sick? Faint? No, he scolded himself. Be brave, and face your own battles. But how could he protect his deepest secrets, his most guarded memories?

Occlumency. The idea sprang to his mind. He had been reading about it, a skill to shield one's mind from intrusion. This would be his first practical attempt at it, but he had no other choice.

"Are you ready, Mr. Gaunt?" asked Professor Hecat, bringing him back to the present.

"Y-Yes, Professor," Ominis replied nervously.

As the armoire doors flung open, he took a deep breath and focused. With utmost care, he traversed the depths of his mind, constructing barriers around the memories he wished to keep hidden—the screams of pain, the stench of death, and the aura of despair, all locked away meticulously.

Amidst the process, he could hear the whirring sound of the Boggart, like a rope flinging around and around. The room filled with confusion as students noticed something amiss.

"Why's it taking so long?"

"Professor Hecat, I think the Boggart's broken!"

Ominis felt a searing pain in his right temple, realizing the Boggart was attempting to break through his mental defenses.

He needed to regain his focus, drowning out the murmurs of the students as he desperately rebuilt the crumbling walls in his mind. Remembering a tactic from his readings on Occlumency, he decided to divert the Boggart's attention elsewhere. A spider, he thought, something he had never seen but could conjure in his imagination.