Chapter 17

As Alfie strolled towards Professor Howin's class, his mind remained preoccupied with the peculiar encounter he had with Ominis. A sense of unease lingered within him, suggesting that there might be more to the situation than met the eye.

He found himself questioning whether Ominis was being completely honest or if there was a deeper reason behind his dismissive response. Alfie couldn't help but wonder if Ominis simply didn't want to entertain trivial school gossip, but doubts still gnawed at him, leaving him uncertain about the true nature of their conversation.

As Alfie made his way towards the familiar cottage and the adjoining outdoor classroom, he observed that the other students were already engrossed in tending to the various magical creatures. Poppy was caught up in conversation with Amit and Garreth, and he decided to approach them.

However, before he could reach them, Professor Howin's stern voice called out to him. "Scamander. Nice of you to join the class 15 minutes late," she said, her arms crossed and her brow furrowed in disapproval.

"I'm sorry Professor, I lost track of time," Alfie apologized.

"Ten points deducted from Slytherin," she stated with a subtle gesture towards Poppy.

"Mr. Scamander, your poor time management skills are affecting your partner, Ms. Sweeting. I've allowed the class to use this time for their breeding assignments since very few of you have actually started… It's disappointing to see my best student dragged down by this," she scolded sternly.

"I assure you, Professor, it won't happen again. I promise," Alfie pleaded earnestly.

"Hmph." Professor Howin eyed Alfie suspiciously before turning on her heel to walk away.

Alfie sighed, acknowledging the truth in Professor Howin's words. Their assignment had indeed been delayed by their encounter with Poppy's parents, and the tension between them hadn't helped matters either.

As he approached the trio, he noticed they were engrossed in a heated debate.

"I'm telling you that using the silencing charm on a group of Fwoopers followed by the slowing charm on your intended Fwooper is the easiest and most humane way to capture one," Poppy said, her tone laced with annoyance.

Amit shook his head in disagreement. "The risk is too high. If we cast the silencing charm incorrectly, we could make the Fwoopers' song louder, and everyone in the radius would go mad instantly," he responded resolutely.

"Oh, come on, Amit!" Garreth exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. "Everything is a high risk to you. Don't be such a coward!"

"Surely a silencing charm wouldn't be too difficult for you, Amit. It is a rather basic spell," Alfie chimed in.

"He's right, Amit. You need to have more trust in your abilities," Garreth said smugly as Amit sighed.