Chapter 11

Poppy's POV

**Trigger warning: Child abuse and Animal abuse**

"Poppy! Dearest little Poppy! Where are you?"

The little girl hid inside the armoire in a fetal position, holding onto her mooncalf plushie with all-consuming dread residing deep inside her heart.

The taunting but feminine voice grew closer to her. "I know where you are, Poppy. Do not think you can get out of your duties."

The darkness turned into light as the doors of the armoire flung open.

"There you are."

Poppy looked up at her mother and tears started to well up in the little girl's eyes as she knew the horrors that were about to come.

"Don't make me force you out of there."

The scared girl dug her face into her knees, hoping this was a nightmare she could awaken from.

Suddenly, she felt a forceful grip on her arm which made her drop her beloved mooncalf plushie. Her mother's grip was tight and painful as she mercilessly dragged Poppy along the floor, treating her like a lifeless puppet.

"Mother, please. Don't make me do this, I beg you!" Poppy sobbed, her voice filled with desperation and anguish. She pleaded with her mother, hoping to make her understand the pain she was causing.

But her pleas fell on deaf ears. Her mother remained unyielding, her face twisted with anger and disdain. "Don't be so soft, Poppy. You're not a baby anymore!" Her mother's words pierced through her, adding to the emotional turmoil she was already experiencing.

With a harsh toss, her mother flung her towards her father, who stood beside a chained Unicorn. The majestic creature looked weak and tired, its once beautiful tail stripped of its precious hairs and its horn brutally torn off.

Poppy's heart pounded in her chest as she slowly rose from the floor, her gaze fixed on the ground, unable to bear witness to the gruesome scene before her. In her father's outstretched hand, he held a knife adorned with the Sweeting family crest etched into its handle.

"Take it," her father commanded, his tone cold and devoid of any remorse.

The girl refused.

"Tsk. Tsk. Why must you be this way?" His words dripped with frustration, but Poppy remained resolute. She couldn't allow herself to be swayed by his manipulation.

"We don't have much time, Angus. The Aurors will be here soon and we have to pack up and leave. I think we are going to have to do it ourselves."

"Nonsense, Violette. She needs to learn sooner or later."

Poppy's mother had a sinister suggestion. "Make her do it then. Quickly now!" she urged, her voice laced with desperation.

"You leave me no choice, you stubborn girl. Imperio!"

A flash of blue illuminated the air, and Poppy's resistance wavered.

In the midst of her turmoil, the little girl suddenly found herself transported to a serene and enchanting field of flowers, a stark contrast to the darkness that surrounded her before. The worries and fears that had plagued her mind now seemed distant and insignificant.

Before her, a blank canvas materialized, inviting her to unleash her creativity upon it. The colors of the paint palette beckoned to her, promising a world of possibilities. With a gleeful smile, she plucked a vibrant red Poppy flower from the field, its delicate petals a perfect inspiration for her artwork.

Dipping her brush into a jar of green paint, she skillfully began to create the stems, carefully bringing them to life on the canvas. Switching to a crimson hue, she added layer upon layer, meticulously crafting the vivid petals of the flower. Stroke by stroke, her painting blossomed into a stunning portrayal of the red Poppy, capturing its beauty and essence.

As she stepped back to admire her creation, a sense of joy and fulfillment washed over her.

In a cruel twist of fate, the tranquil scene around her rapidly transformed into one of desolation and decay. The vibrant grass and blooming flowers that once filled the field now withered and turned brown before her very eyes. The once majestic aspen trees, pillars of life and strength, now succumbed to a silent demise, collapsing to the ground one by one. The sky, once painted with hues of warmth and serenity, now transformed into a foreboding cloak of darkness as nightfall descended upon the landscape.

Her gaze shifted back to her painting, her source of joy and creative expression, only to be met with a sight that filled her with terror and disbelief.

With trembling limbs and a racing heart, Poppy emerged from the clutches of restless sleep, her body drenched in perspiration. The haunting images of a bloodied and dead unicorn seared into her mind, defying any attempt to banish them from her consciousness. The atrocities she had been forced to commit under her parents' command will forever burden her memories.

She laid back in bed and sighed. The past week had been nothing short of wretched since the unexpected encounter with her estranged parents. Every night since then, she's had similar nightmares, making it difficult to get a full night's sleep. 

Poppy wrote to her Gran and told her the events that transpired. Gran seemed concerned and urged her not to leave the castle, as she feared that Angus and Violette might try to take her.

Poppy knew that her parents wouldn't make such an effort. Their past actions had demonstrated their indifference and disregard for her, belittling her worth throughout her childhood. When she had made the decision to escape and live with Gran, they hadn't shown any true determination or resolve to locate her. Their lack of pursuit further cemented her belief that they held no genuine interest in her well-being.

Then why were they here? The question persisted within her, making it hard for her to concentrate on much else.

She closed her eyes in an attempt to fall back asleep but her mind continued to race, leaving her restless. In frustration, Poppy rose from her bed and wrapped her house robe around her nightgown. Seeking some form of distraction, she made up her mind to visit the kitchens in search of a midnight snack. The thought of indulging in a small pleasure, like a late-night treat, offered a temporary respite from the turmoil within her mind.

Being a Hufflepuff had its advantages, especially when it came to proximity to the kitchens.

As she wandered among the shelves, searching for a delectable yet light snack, her attention was caught by a sudden glimmer of red in her peripheral vision. 

She froze in place as she slowly turned to face the source of the glint.

Her vision started to adjust to the familiar shape of the figure and the red glimmer that cautiously approached her.

She squinted her eyes, attempting to get a better look. "Ominis, is that you?" Poppy asked.

~* Chapter Notes *~

Sorry for the short chapter guys! When I wrote this one out initially, it turned out to be too long. The other chapter should be ready soon.