Separated

Clementine's eyes slowly opened as she stirred awake on the bank of the river. It was morning, she didn't know how far she had drifted, she didn't know where she was. She didn't know how she hadn't drowned.

She coughed as she pulled herself to her feet, holding her stomach as it was growling and constricting, sending waves of pain through the young teen's body. She looked around panicked as realisation kicked in she was all by herself.

"Hello? Y/N? Carley? Lee? Christa?" she called out, before chastising herself, remembering Y/N's lessons.

—~—

The five were walking through the woods as Clementine had a grumpy look on her face.

"Do I really have to say it again, Y/N?"

Y/N glanced over with his 'I'm not taking any shit' expression as he answered:

"Yes Clem, you do. What happens if we get separated?"

Clementine sighed. She wished Y/N wouldn't make her talk about it. She didn't want to think about not being with Y/N.

"I remain quiet. There could be dead, or worse, living around. I find the most obvious landmark and I stay there. It's easier for you to find me if I stay in one place. I find the landmark and I stay there, out of sight. If you haven't turned up in two days then..."

She hesitated, a pained tone emerging in her voice. Carley was about to tell Y/N to give it a break when Lee squeezed his lover's hand, shaking his head. Clementine needed to know this, whether she liked it or not. Clementine sighed as she continued:

"...then I need to assume you're... you're..."

"Dead" Y/N answered firmly. "Then you need to..."

Clementine spoke shakily:

"I need to find food. I need to find clean water. I need to find shelter. I need to be careful if I see people. I need to keep dry."

"Good" Y/N replied.

—~—

Clementine looked at her immediate situation. The thick jumper of Y/N's was damp, but had mostly stopped her from getting soaked through. She removed it and tied it around her waist before looking around and taking in her surroundings properly.

She had washed up on the shore of a summer camp, judging by the remains. This should be a good landmark to her to stay safe at, at least for a couple of days.

She looked up and saw a path leading up from the river and followed it, hoping to find something substantial to wait at, and hopefully, some food.

—~—

Y/N pushed on, ever onwards. He had walked all night, or at least until his battery died in his torch.

He'd stopped at that point, sat himself in an exposed tree root that buffered him from the wind. He figured by the cool of the air that sun was about an hour from rising and there was no point wandering in the dark. He was looking for the subtlest of tracks showing where Clem left the river. He couldn't afford to wander in the dark.

As he sat his head began to drop, Y/N fighting hard against the incredible fatigue that was setting in.

Y/N hadn't eaten for three days. He hadn't slept for over 48 hours. He was on the verge of crashing before the attack happened. Y/N's exhaustion impacted scattered thoughts rushed back to the attack.