Goodbye

It had been a long four days on foot for the trio, but they were now within sight of hope.

They had ransacked a few tins and bottles of water from the truckstop diner, miraculously found three tins of formula in one of the car boots, but horrifically also a baby seat inside the car covered in blood. Y/N stopped Clementine from seeing it, but it had given Y/N nightmares the first night of their camping.

The group had headed steadily north, Y/N scouting ahead for a while each day, and he had caught some rabbits each time, getting the trio some much needed protein.

He had though see the letter R a couple of times inscribed into tree trunks. He wasn't sure what the letter was, but he knew it was a letter. He had memorised the shape and asked Kenny, drawing it on the man's hand when Clementine was asleep. Neither had any idea who did it or why, but it was odd to say the least. Y/N hypothesised it could be some kind of marker.

On the fourth day Y/N had spotted a large plume of smoke, and the trio had walked towards it excitedly, Kenny smiling happily as he held AJ and said to the kids "this is it. I just know it."

They reached the top of a small hill and looked over it, standing in shock and excitement at what was before them.

A huge wall stood in front of them with a massive gate. The smoke, which came from within, resembled a campfire up close.

"Holy shit, we did the guys" Kenny said in happiness as the three walked towards the gate.

"This is finally the one guys. Look at those walls. We'll finally feel safe. Be able to sleep at night, this will-"

Kenny stopped talking as a gunshot rang out, stopping the trio about thirty feet from the gate.

"That's far enough" a woman's voice called out over a loudspeaker.

"Play it cool guys. Do as they say" Y/N said as he lowered his crossbow to his side in an attempt to look non confrontational.

"Drop your weapons" the voice called out again, Clementine placing her gun and Matthew's old knife on the ground, as well as the duffel bag she carried with AJ's bottles, milk and nappies as well as the last of the their food. Y/N placed his knife, glock and crossbow down as he yelled out:

"I'm just getting the old man's for him, he's holding the baby" before carefully and slowly pulling Kenny's gun from the back of his trousers, showing whoever was watching as he placed it slowly on the ground and stood with his hands raised.

"Raise your hands Clemmy" Y/N whispered as Clementine did the same.

"Approach the gate" the woman's voice called out again.

The large gate opened with a creak as a woman in her late twenties walked out and stood about ten feet from the trio.

"Baby... you guys have a baby? He looks tiny. How old is he? Where's his mom?" the woman asked in a jumble, shocked at seeing such a tiny infant approaching Wellington from the wild.

Things had not been good lately. Not with them out there. Seeing someone approach was a miracle. Or a trap.

"He's about a week old. His name is AJ" Y/N calmly before his tone turned sad as he concluded:

"His mom, Bec... it's been a tough journey."

The woman saw sadness come over the man and the girl's faces so she quickly changed the subject.

"I'm Edith, this is Wellington."

"Names Kenny, this is Y/N and Clementine" Kenny said with a smile before his expression grew shocked at a duffelbag thrown at his feet.

"What is-?"

He was cut off by Edith:

"A week's worth of supplies. Food, map, flashlight. You don't look like them, but you need to head south. Do not go any further north."

"Supplies- what is this... we can't join?" Y/N asked in realisation.

"But we have a baby, we can pull our own weight" Clementine added as Edith raised her hands.

"It's not about that. We can't take anybody right now, our settlement and others are in a conflict and-"

"Just take the kids!!!" Kenny suddenly blurted out, Y/N and Clementine's heads both shooting round to him in shock as Y/N asked:

"What-"

"It's two kids and a baby, and the boy, my boy is like no one you've met before. He can fight, he can hunt. He's kept adults alive for years. He'll be an asset please, but the baby will die out here!"

Y/N's eyes widened in horror as he looked at Kenny, Clementine tearing up instantly as Edith said quickly:

"I'll ask... I'll ask inside. Wait here"

and disappeared back inside the gate.

"Ken what the hell are you doing there's no way we're-"

"Yes you are!" Kenny said firmly, cutting off a panicked Y/N before continuing:

"Y/N, Clem, this is your chance. This is Alvie's chance. You can be safe here, have a home. You're both staying with him!"

"No we're not!" Y/N snapped defiantly, Clementine agreeing as Y/N added with tears in his eyes:

"I can't lose you again Ken."

"This isn't about me. This isn't about you or Clem. This is about Alvie, son. You are both staying with him if they allow and you will raise him together. He deserves a home. You both deserve a home."

"But Ken-"

"No buts, son!" Ken said firmly. "It ain't fair but you need to be a man now. A father to AJ. He needs you and Clem. This is your best chance, so if they-"

Kenny stopped as Edith appeared again through the gate.

"We... we can take the kids, but only the kids. I'm sorry."

"Ken no" Y/N said tearfully as Clementine began to cry.

"Y/N yes. I'm sorry you've both got this burden at your ages, but you need to be parents to AJ. Give him the life he deserves. I love you both so much, and I am so proud of both of you."

It was a tearful goodbye as Clementine hugged Kenny, sobbing, before she took AJ and Kenny hugged a Y/N who was openly crying for the first time either Clementine or Kenny had ever seen.

"I am so proud of you, Y/N. Proud of the man you've become, proud to be your father. When I think of that tiny batshit crazy kid I found on the road who broke my nose in Hershel's barn" Kenny laughed through his own tears. He whispered in Y/N's ear:

"You've got to be strong, Y/N. Strong for Clem and AJ. They need you to be the man I know you can be for them both. I love you son."

Kenny picked up the bag of supplies and said to the teens:

"I'm not going to turn around kids. Not because I don't want to. I love you all"
before he walked up to the hill, grabbed his gun and disappeared over the horizon.

"You better get your weapons and belongings and come in kids, it's not safe out here" Edith said as she looked around fearfully, Y/N wiping his eyes and noticing the sniper rifles on top of the gate, none were pointed at them but instead towards the forests that surround Wellington.

Y/N wiped his eyes, ran up to pick up their gear as Clementine sobbed with AJ in her arms, and the three followed Edith inside, the large gates closing behind them as they entered into their new home of Wellington.

A/N: and so draws to a close season two... only to be followed by the hopefully awesome and completely original season 2.5. Hope everyone enjoys.