FUBAR

Y/N was walking along through the forest in the cool of the early morning, looking and feeling a million times improved on the night before. It's amazing what a difference food, water and some solid sleep could make.

Pete and Clementine were walking behind Y/N, smiling and chatting happily as Y/N did what he did best, his eyes darting through the brush around them, on the verge of paranoia, looking for any signs of a threat. Pete had been good enough to let Y/N refill his arrows though, it was beyond fortunate their crossbows were compatible. This morning though he had a rifle in his hands. He smiled to the girl after small talk about the weather to ask:

"How are you two holding up? I heard you got an earful from Rebecca last night. Once she gets going, there's no bringing her back. Her bark's worse than her bite though."

Y/N chuckled from the front without looking round. Clementine smiled, it was so nice hearing Y/N laugh again, before she replied:

"She's all talk. Me and Y/N have come across a lot of people like her the last few years."

"Ran into your fair share of trouble?" Pete asked, a tone of sadness in his voice.

"A lot" Clem answered honestly. "But I'm so lucky I've always had Y/N there to protect me."

Y/N didn't turn round but Clementine could tell he was smiling.

"Y/N protects you? Like last night you mean? I ain't never seen a boy your age put a grown man on his behind like that before. Let alone a boy half dead" Pete chuckled.

"Done a lot worse than that Pete, a lotta times too. That's what the world is now" Y/N replied, again without turning.

"Ain't that the truth" Pete replied before noticing Clementine eyeing his rifle.

"So I assume you two know how to shoot? Proper I mean, any idiot with a gun can sh-"

Pete stopped as Y/N stopped dead in his tracks. He raised a hand to the other two, signifying stop, before raising his crossbow towards the brush and firing. There was a thud as Y/N quickly darted into the thick scrub, emerging a moment later reloading his crossbow.

"Walker. Lone straddler" Y/N said to the others.

"You heard him?" Pete asked with a smile.

"Yes sir" Y/N nodded. "Been in the woods all my life. When the regular noises stop, you know you got one near you"

Pete smiled and added:

"I take it you can shoot then?"

"Shoot, hunt, track, whatever you need" Y/N replied as he began walking forward again.

"That's impressive. What about you Clementine?"

"Our friend Lee taught me, and Y/N helped as well. Just not with rifles."

"Well, that makes sense. Less kick. This thing would probably knock you on your ass." Pete replied.

"Nick was about your age first time I took him huntin'. Came across this beautiful 13-point buck just standin' there on the ridgeline. The boy takes the rifle, lines up the shot just like I taught him, then I hear him start whinin'. He turns to me and he says, "I can't do it. I can't shoot it, Uncle Pete. Please don't make me shoot it."

"Aww...that's sad." Clementine said.

"Pussy" Y/N commented to himself, a lot quieter as his eyes scanned their surroundings. Right at that moment Nick came running up to the others, sporting a bruised nose and two blackening eyes.

"Hey! Why didn't you wait?" He asked in annoyance as Pete snapped back:

"You want us standin' around while you piss on a tree? You know where the river is, boy."