Chapter 6

Night's POV
I woke up to see the time on my nightstand showing 7.08 AM. I looked beside me only to find North wasn't there. Didn't North sleep with me last night? Or was it a dream? I'm not usually a morning person nor I ever wake up this early on a weekend, but the smell of butter and various blends of spices was strong enough to wake me up. Who's cooking this early in the morning?
I got up partly awake with my eyes still half closed and walked downstairs. A tall figure was busy with chopping all sorts of vegetables on the kitchen counter. Onions, green beans, shallots, you name it.

"North?" I asked with confusion because a stranger is literally cooking in my kitchen without my parents or Ongsa around

"Oh, you're awake. Did I wake you up?" asked North.
"I should be the one asking you, why are you even cooking?"
"It's breakfast. Pad Krapow"
That's literally my favorite food. What lengths did he have to go through to find out my favorite Thai dish?
"How'd you know it's my favorite food?"
"What? It's your sister's and my favorite food. It's yours too?"
I turned red, embarrassed because my question was so self-centered not knowing it could damn well be other people's favorite food too.
"I actually sleep over a lot. And every time I do, I'd cook breakfast. Usually it's just for Ongsa and I, but I'm cooking for a whole family of 4 now. Sorry if the tossing and random noises woke you up"
North continued stir-frying the ground pork, adding spices and tasting it each time ensuring it tastes good.
I sat down on the kitchen counter across him to see that he looked really focused on his duties. If this was a movie he'd be that stereotypical boyfriend who cooks pancakes shirtless with an apron. I let out a small smile with such admiration.
"WHY SO SMILEY NONG NAI?" Ongsa suddenly scared me from beside while pinching my cheeks. She eye-sided North, then back to me.
"Night... Are you..."
"Je (older sister), you scared me! Next time at least make footstep noises!"
"If I did, I wouldn't have been able to scare my nong and see him staring at my best friend. What's up with you?" she said with an annoying grin.
"Bpai laew (I'm just gonna go)"
"No stay. We'll eat breakfast together before your parents come downstairs" said North with his deep and stern voice while pointing at me to sit back down as he grabbed the plates from under the drawers and started to plate the dish.
Hot. Wait what?
North looked occupied the whole time by Ongsa's conversations halfway through the meal before my parents came down.
"It smells so nice in here. Who cooked?" asked my dad.
"North, dad. It's aroi mak (really good), come sit down with us" replied Ongsa before they joined us for a meal.
"North, you're so nice to cook us breakfast. I wish my future son-in-law would cook like this too. Are you single?" my mom asked jokingly.
North chuckled before replying "Oh mae, no worries. But yeah— I'm single. Although I'm hoping to not be in a little." while looking straight at me with that snarky smile of his. What is this guy implying?
"Aw, too bad Ongsa already has someone." said Mae.
"Your son doesn't though." North said confidently before Ongsa slapped the back of his head.
"Watch your mouth, ai khwai (dumbass). That's my Nong Sao. It's not like he knows you or anything. Look at him all confused"
I was speechless and didn't even realize the four of them were looking at me and questioned my quietness because I haven't said a single word the whole time.
All of us finished eating and Ongsa cleaned everything up including doing the dishes. I went upstairs to shower and get ready because I have a cafe gig with Ongsa's girlfriend, Sun in a little bit. It's nice to make your own money so you don't have to rely on your parents as much. I'm not close to my sister's girlfriend, but she holds the same interests in music as I do and was the first person who offered me to be the vocalist in her uncle's cafe.
I went downstairs and looked around.
"Who are you looking for?" asked my sister.
"No one"
"No one, my ass. You're looking for North, aren't you?"
"What?"
"You know you're really bad at lying, Night. He left 5 minutes ago"
"Oh"
"Was the shirtless picture his?"
"Huh?"
"Playing dumb again. You have 5 seconds to be honest"
"No"
"Fine. Earlier, he told me to message his mom while he was cleaning the counter because his hands were dirty. But I saw your name in his contacts. I got curious so I invaded his privacy a little and opened the message. I didn't read through everything, but I saw the picture he sent you. Why'd you pretend you don't know him?"
"Because I didn't know he was your best friend"
"Is he bothering you?"
"No"
"Do you like him?"
"NO!" I denied.
"Whatever. Sun's arriving soon. Do you want me to drop you off?"
"Huh, you don't usually offer me for a ride."
"I wouldn't want my girlfriend to catch a heatstroke because of the Bangkok heat"
"Ugh, I hope I don't catch your lovebug" I said before heading out to the doorstep to put my shoes on.
My phone dinged and I opened it to see who it was. North.

Oh, he's gonna be there

"P'Ong, how long until Sun gets here?" I asked.
"In about 5 minutes. Why?"
"Hold on I have to change"
"Your outfit looks fine"
"But I wanna change into something better! I'll be quick" I said before rushing upstairs to change. I quickly went through my wardrobe and tossed everything on the floor before finding a genuinely good outfit. 7 minutes have passed and I was finally done. I put on what felt like a bucket of cologne before heading downstairs.
"Hi Night!" Sun greeted me from the couch like the bright person she is. "Your sister's already out front warming up the car. Come on" she said before I walked beside her. Her nose suddenly scrunched up and she said "Ew why do you smell like that?"
"Like what?"
"Like you fell into a pool of strongly smelling cologne"
"Really, je?"
"Yeah"
"What should I do then?"
"Come on, let's just go. I'm sure it'll fade away"
I really hope it does because otherwise North might back away.