Chapter 2

I woke up the next morning bright and early to the smell of pancakes.

I walked out of my room and down the stairs into the kitchen where almost everyone was sitting. Belly and Jeremiah were missing.

"Good morning guys!" I say smiling. I give my mom and Susannah a hug and mess with Conrad's hair which he rolls his eyes but secretly smiles. "Steven" I say nodding at him and he laughs grabbing the car keys.

"I'm headed to work. See y'all at 3" he says leaving.

"Hey, where's Jere and Belly?" I ask.

"they went out together I think to get smoothies" mom says wiping the counter.

"Oh" I say.

"Alright well I'm going to go read on the deck" mom says throwing out the napkin.

"I as well" Susannah says.

Once they're outside I pour myself some cereal.

"You didn't come get me last night" Conrad says looking at me.

I turn to him confused for a moment.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry I completely forgot. Jere and I got back pretty late last night" I say rubbing my finger on the table.

"It's fine" Conrad says getting up and washing his bowl in the sink. The tension was now thick.

"He told me you quit football" I say.

"Oh really?" He says.

"Yeah. Why?" I ask.

"See that's really not Jeres place to be going around telling people that" Conrad shuts off the sink holding his fist on the faucet for a moment.

"Oh he didn't tell other people, just me" I say trying to lighten the mood.

He shakes his head. "I'm going for a run."

He leaves quickly and I sit there alone in the kitchen.

CONRAD

I walked out of the house quickly. I needed to clear my mind before it exploded.

I wanted to tell her I had heard them come in last night. I had been awake waiting for her to come climb in bed to shake me awake so we could go for a midnight swim together.

Last night was a blur.

10:00 pm
11:00 pm
12:00 am
1:15 AM is when they finally pulled up to the house.

I got ready to pretend to be asleep for when she walked in. I heard them both climb the stairs.

I then heard the whispers outside the room door. Her and Jeremiah's voices.

"I had fun tonight" Jeremiah spoke first.

"Yeah, I had lots of fun too" I heard her say. Their voices weren't louder then a whisper.

There was then what seemed to be a silence. Both of them had gone to bed. Then I heard them pick up again saying goodnight. They had kissed each other goodnight.

Fucking shit. He was kissing my girl. He knew she was mine. He had Belly and I had Y/N. It was like an unwritten rule since we were 10.

I punched my pillow. Hard.

I rolled over and looked at the ceiling. This summer was different. Not a good different either. I was gonna have to fight for her.