Chapter 27

Y/N

The drive home is a blur.

I'm sobbing in the back seat as Belly sobs next to me. Steven sniffles at the wheel as Jeremiah lays his head on my shoulder. Conrad attempts to hold himself together in the passenger seat.

Once we arrive at the house we walk in to the moms sitting in the living room. Jeremiah runs to his mom immediately engulfing her in a hug.

I follow him and hold her.

"You guys were only gone for a few hours! Couldn't have missed me that much!" She laughs and I sniffle and more tears run down my face.

"What happened?" My mom asks as soon as she sees Belly's red eyes and Steven falling into her arms immediately.

"We know mom" Conrad states and Susannah stops rubbing my arm immediately.

"Oh my god" Susannah says and looks at Conrad then between Jeremiah and I, then Belly and Steven. "I-I didn't want you guys to find out. I'm so sorry"

"Oh my babies" my mom grabs hold of me and Conrad fills my place in Susannah's arms.

My mom takes Steven, Belly and I up the stairs. Belly and I change out of our dresses and into something more comfortable.

I'm in jean shorts and oversized navy sweater. We all go back into my moms room and lay on the bed.

I'm hugging my mom and belly's holding me as Steven lays on the other side of my mom.

"She's not going to get better is she?" I choke out.

"No" my mom begins to sob.

I cry harder. I felt pathetic. All this drama between the boys this summer felt so useless, so stupid. I didn't even notice someone I loved was struggling.

We all continue to sob for awhile until eventually my mom slows down her breathing and wipes her tears. "We still have to eat"

"I'm not that hungry" I say.

"Come on, pasta is something you can always eat" she says and kisses my head. "Let's go together"

We all walk down the stairs and find Jeremiah curled up on the couch next to his mom. Conrad has his head on her lap.

"I'm making pasta" my mom announces. Susannah turns around with a smile. "Sounds lovely"

My mom cooks as I sit at the kitchen island numb. 15 minutes later the food is being put onto plates and brought into the dining room where we all sit.

"I'm going to do the trial" Susannah announces. "The boys convinced me"

"Beck that's great!" My mom grabs her hand and squeezes it.

"We'll be there for you every step of the way" I say and smile at her. She smiles back.

"Now let's eat and stop being sad. We only have a few days left of summer! Let's make the most of it!" She says and we all laugh and eat our dinner.

Once dinner is finished everyone begins to disperse. I stay in the dining room a few moments after almost everyone gets up from their seats. Jeremiah stays with me.

"I'm heading up to bed if you'd like to join?" Jeremiah asks grabbing my hand at the table.

"Yeah- I'll meet you up there. I'm just gonna do some dishes first" I say with a smile.

"Okay. I'll put on a movie too" he gives me a half smile and then leans in and kisses me. I kiss him and he pulls away pushing some hair behind my ear. "See you in a few"

He leaves and I sit for a few moments before getting up.

I make my way into the kitchen where my mom and Susannah are sitting. Conrad is in the living room. Belly and Steven went up to bed.

"I think this night calls for a movie" my mom says.

"I agree" Susannah responds.

"Want to join?" My mom asks.

"I would've loved to but Jeremiah already asked me" I pout and then laugh. They both smile at me.

"You're my special girl Y/N" Susannah says as she gets up. She squeezes my shoulders.

"Let's go get that movie started. My room?" My mom asks Susannah.

"Sounds delightful" Susannah grabs a bag of chips. "Goodnight sweetheart"

"Goodnight honey" my mom kisses my forehead.

"Love you guys so much" I say to both my mom and Susannah. They walk away and up the stairs as I turn on the sink.

I start washing the plates and place them into the dishwasher. A few moments later I hear the TV shut off and foot steps from the living room enter into the kitchen.

Conrad comes in and places his hand on my back rubbing it. "Wanna take a walk?" He asks. I nod shutting off the water and he leads us out the back door and onto the beach.

We walk in silence for a few minutes.

"How long did you know about your mom?" I ask as I listen to the waves crash onto the sand.

"Since April" he says quietly.

"Oh my gosh Conrad. I had no idea I'm so sorry. Why'd you bottle it up?" I ask.

"I-I felt like if I talked about it, it would get worse. I didn't want to stress anyone else out either with the news. I knew that's not what she wanted" he says and looks at me. I grab his hand entwining our fingers. "I'm so sorry"

"It's not your fault. It's not anyone's fault but my own" he says. "I'm sorry for the way I treated you this summer. You didn't deserve any of that. I was just so caught up in all of that I was scared to be with you"

"No-no you don't have to apologize I understand. I'm sorry for being so terrible too you." I say.

"You were never terrible" he says stopping and looking at me. "You're the only thing keeping me grounded. I need you."

My heart rate picks up. "Conrad I don't think I'm what you need right now. You need to be with your mom and Jeremiah"

"Yes but no. I need you. You make me happy. When you talk I get butterflies in my stomach, when we kiss I feel a thousand fireworks going off, when I touch you it just feels right" he says pushing the hair out of my face and behind my ear.

"Conrad I really do want to be with you" I say squeezing his hand.

"Then be with me" he half smiles down at me.

"But Jeremiah...I can't break his heart" I say quietly. "Not right now"

Conrad stays silent for a moment. "You know Jere, he never really takes anything like that seriously. Not like us. Maybe he won't even be mad"

"You think so?" I say and he smiles down at me. "Yeah"

"I want to talk to him first" I say and Conrad nods. "That's fine"

"Alright then" I smile. "I'm yours"

"Good" he smiles and then raises his hand slowly up to my cheek. He places his softly there and checks my eyes again and I give him permission.

He places his lips on mine hesitantly at first but grows more comfortable once he feels me kissing back.

We release for a moment and look at each other.

"There's so many things I want to say to you right now" he whispers.

"You can tell me all of it someday" I smile and he smiles back at me. We go in for another kiss and this time it's more needy.

He holds my face in his hands while I place my hands on his biceps and hold them. He goes and kisses my jaw and I hold him tighter.

This was always how it was meant to be.