Chapter Five

Day One
Morning

It should've been paradise.

Aruba was one of the most beautiful places Cole had ever seen.

The beaches went on for miles and the sky looked almost fake it was so clear. The pristine blue waters of the Caribbean stretched out before him, blending seamlessly with the sky. Cole felt an overwhelming urge to get closer to the water, to feel the soft sand beneath his feet and the coolness of the waves on his skin. There were people all over the beaches, the groups seeming to never end. The beachgoers were scattered like confetti. There was a light breeze to cut through the heat. Palm trees swayed gracefully in the breeze, their shadows offering respite from the sun's intense rays. The taxi played some music and rolled the windows down, making conversation here and there and giving some recommendations for their trip.

The resort seemed like it was pulled straight from a movie. The architecture was something he had never seen before. It was incredible. He had seen pictures when they booked it, but they didn't even do it justice. It stood tall right on the beach with people waiting with drinks in hand as the taxi pulled into the entrance. Everyone had warm smiles on their face, and they somehow even seemed genuine.

They had gone on family vacations before, but they never left the country together. This was their first trip in a few years and everyone was in high spirits. The twins hadn't even bickered with each other since they landed. Even Allison seemed happy with everything. Cole hadn't seen her smile like that in a while, and he instantly was trying to think of ways to keep her smiling like that.

So... it should've been paradise.

But he was quickly brought back to reality when he heard, Surprise!"

Fucking Matthew.

His mother's boyfriend with his arms stretched out wide and a stupid smile on his face.

His mother's boyfriend with a suitcase that had those dumb travel stickers all over it.

His mother's boyfriend who shouldn't be here for another five days.

"Matthew!" Lorena exclaimed in surprise, making her way over with her to her boyfriend with a laugh. "I can't believe you're here!"

What kind of person named "Matthew" doesn't just go by "Matt" anyway?

"I couldn't believe it either, but when Scarlett called me with the flight paid for, I could hardly say no," he told Lorena giddily, gathering her into a hug. Cole jolted slightly at his words, feeling himself snapped out of his state of shock long enough to turn towards Scarlett.

"You knew?" Cole asked his sister, feeling an odd sense of betrayal.

"So did you," Sam piped in before Scarlett could say anything.

Cole glanced around in confusion. "No, I didn't."

"I sent a group text to everyone, you just never answered," Scarlett told him with a shrug. "I figured that meant you didn't care."

He couldn't exactly argue there, because his sister was telling the truth. She sent a group text to all the siblings last week saying she was inviting Matthew early to spend the trip with them. He didn't even give it a second thought, thinking it was a joke. He brushed it off as if it were a "Could you believe it if Matthew came?" sort of hypothetical, ridiculous question. But as it tuned out, very much so not hypothetical.

"I thought it was a joke!" Cole whispered to her harshly.

Scarlett blinked at him, shrugging as she asked in a hushed voice, "Why would that be a joke?"