Chapter Eighteen

Day Seven
Night

The ceremony went off without a hitch.

Both their vows had the entirety of the crowd in tears.

Nate was the writer, but Scarlett gave him a run for his money.

"I've told Nate this before, but humans have bits of stardust in them. I always thought people were drawn to each other because their stars were next to each other when the universe was created. Overtime, their atoms would always feel the pull back to each other. There's no better way to describe how meeting you felt."

Cole couldn't help but let his eyes drift towards Allison during the vows.

She was looking at him too.

It reminded him of their wedding. The way he felt that day. Like nothing could break them.

Cole was pretty sure Alli was thinking the same thing. Her eyes shimmered with unshed tears, her emotions seemingly torn. Cole's mind wandered back to their own wedding day, a time of happiness and promise. When they made these same promises. Spoke the same words.

Nate's voice filled the air, strong and resolute, as he recited his vows to Scarlett. "I, Nate, take you, Scarlett, to be my lawfully wedded wife," he declared, a smile of pure love gracing his lips.

Scarlett's voice, soft and full of adoration, followed, "I, Scarlett, take you, Nate, to be my lawfully wedded husband."

Nate's father, Henry, the officiant for the wedding, continued, "To have and to hold, from this day forward..."

"For better or for worse..." Scarlett's voice wavered slightly, the emotion evident in her voice. Nate rubbed his thumb on her hand tenderly.

Cole's heart clenched. Those words echoed in his mind, a reminder of the promises he and Allison had made to each other not so long ago.

For better or for worse.

As Nate slid the wedding ring onto Scarlett's finger, a tear slipped down Allison's cheek. She turned away for a moment, trying to compose herself. She sucked in sharply, clenching her jaw harshly before turning back to the two. It could easily be seen as being overtaken with emotion from the wedding in front of them, but Cole knew better. He knew her. Cole gazed at her, his heart heavy with the desire to fix everything. But he wasn't even sure if that was still an option for them.

"I now pronounce you," Henry started, his voice thick with emotion, "husband and wife. You may kiss."

Nate and Scarlett both beamed at each other as they exchanged a tender kiss, sealing their vows. The guests erupted into joyful applause, snapping Cole from his thoughts. He smiled at the two, clapping for them despite the bittersweet ache.

Nate and Scarlett ran down the aisle, everyone in the crowd cheering loudly as they went. Nate spun Scarlett around at the end of the aisle, dipping her down and kissing her firmly. The guests cheered even louder and Cole whooped in support. They stood back up and Nate threw his fist up in the air, hollering in excitement.

The wedding party made their way back down the aisle, everyone dancing to the happy music they were playing.

"You okay?" Sam asked him in a low voice.

Cole swallowed. "Yeah, I'm good."

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

After the cocktail hour, the reception moved to the main ballroom. There were floor to ceiling windows, giving a gorgeous view of the ocean. The sun was setting just over the horizon, offering a perfect landscape of the sunset's pink and orange hues. The ballroom's numerous floor-to-ceiling windows offered panoramic views of the boundless water. Ivory drapes fell from the tall windows, softly blowing in the ocean breeze. The sun's golden rays filtered through the sheer fabric, casting a warm glow across the room.