honey crisp / golden girl.

[1988, angst, flirting]

It was at the ripe age of seven when you caught the ear of a certain someone who was already knee deep in the music industry, Quincy Jones was the first person to ever hear you sing

It was at the ripe age of seven when you caught the ear of a certain someone who was already knee deep in the music industry, Quincy Jones was the first person to ever hear you sing. you were hanging out with your mother in the kitchen, she was making him and your father tea when he heard you sing along to a James Brown record.

you grew up in a family of music. your parents had met each other on stage and sang together for the longest time, they love to say that music brought them together. music was always playing when you were younger and there was never a moment where no one was singing. tunes and sounds of feet tapping along and dancing always filled the space around you; regardless of the situation.

Quincy pushed hard for you to be signed with Motown and it didn't take long for you to begin making music. growing up in the eyes of the public as a kid that had famous parents was hard enough, but being an adult all alone in an industry that's already hard making friends in was worse.
song by song and album by album, you began building your name in the industry. hit after hit topped the charts and broke records, and as young as twelve years old, you had already acquired several gold records, countless awards and a Grammy.

you were on the cusp of turning seventeen when your first self produced and written album gained worldwide attention. the singles that lead to the album release were played everywhere and no one could step outside without hearing your voice, radio stations, commercials, movies, t.v shows, and almost everything in between were playing your songs. once the album released, it became an overnight success as it immediately topped the charts and stayed on top.

by the time you were nineteen, your career was thought to be a big as it can get. you were at a different level of fame compared to your seniors and those that came after you, some even called it 'the Y/n effect', as nobody was able to reach any record you've set or even remotely come close to anything you've done. you were the It Girl.

however, your Motown hay days were coming to an end. your father had been set on getting you out of your contract with the company because it felt like you had outgrown it. Motown was the place where you began your journey as an artist, it was like a second home to you. the amount of memories you made in that building were borderline uncountable, too many friends and too many incredibly talented people you've come across that will always be a part of your memory. it was a difficult decision to make, but you understood where your father was coming from, it was your time to discover yourself and navigate the industry as an independent artist; and on your twentieth birthday – thirteen years with Motown – you dissolved your contract with the company.

during your stay at Motown, you caught the eye of a specific boy, Michael Jackson. he saw you as this really cool artist that he looked up to in many ways, you were insanely talented and your outlook on music as a whole was genius to him. he would always hang out around your recording room and listen to your raw vocals and whenever he'd pass by the rehearsals room's widows, he'd stare at you, in absolute awe as he watched you dance. it was so natural for you it almost left him bewildered.