The Dark Hood

CHAPTER TWO

The Dark Hood

Cersei's POV

My husband is an ignorant fuck.

For years since Alana first became a woman grown, I've been the one she's run to when something goes wrong. I was there when she got her first period. I became a mother to Joffrey 16 years ago. Alana and Renly came here two years later and then I birthed Myrcella just months later. Tommen was born 3 years after that.

Was my husband there for the births of his children?

Not a single birth.

He'd go for a hunt when my time was near and leave me with family and some of the guard to keep watch over myself and a new royal baby. His baby. But that didn't matter to Robert, no- it was messy and upset his stomach to see a baby being born.

I wish I could say that I was the only victim to his cruelty. Unfortunately, his sister was a target of his as well. Especially since she became a woman. All Robert can think about is selling her off to some shitty Lord and their shitty son who will make her miserable and use her as machinery to birth baby after baby just to keep the peace that sits in the Realm.

Alana has always been a sweet girl and I had always wanted a sister, in fact- when my brother Tyrion was born and I had pulled myself together after realizing that our mother had died birthing him, I was more upset that he was a boy than a girl.

Time has gone on and of course I'm over that now. I was only a child when my mother passed and although I miss her more than anything it's known that there was nothing anyone could have done to spare her. Just as Alana's mother suffered the same fate just a few years later.

As I stand here in the doorway of Alana's chambers I can't help but feel sorry for the girl. Robert told me he was going to host a large feast tonight in hopes that one of the many suitors that Alana has met with will stand out to her and she'll finally select one. Clearly he told her of his plan because the poor girl looks like she's been crying all day.

She turned her head to me and forced a smile.

Looking at Alana was like looking in the mirror in a way. A young girl who lost her mother far too young and was forced to leave her home on the orders of the King. She's unhappy here and no matter what I do, I know deep in my heart that it'll never be enough.

Even for myself there was limits to what anyone could do to make this easier for myself. I swear if it hadn't been for my children I'd have thrown myself out the highest window of this place already.

"You look beautiful," I said softly to Alana.

She nodded with a smile and blushed. "Thank you, Your Grace."

I waved her off as I gathered my skirts and sat on her bed across from where she had been seated as they finished braiding off the back of her hair, leaving the bottom down and long. She hated the updos that are done in southern style. At most times I do agree with her that it can be too much.

"I've known you nearly all your life, dear. There is not need for such formalities when we are in private." I told her.

Another shy smile from her and a small giggle.

It was easier for me to look at her because she looked nothing like Robert. Alana was beautiful with those hazel eyes and dark wavy hair. Her nose not a button but also not pointed. It was nice to look at a Baratheon and not feel like my world was crumbling down around me. That's how it felt to look at Robert.