[24] After School Special

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness, in times of tragedy.. leads to healing. That one community is stronger than a thousand of its members. But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader?" Liz Forbes spoke in the high school gym.

Next to Liz, there was a picture of Carol Lockwood. All of the high school students had gathered that day to honor the former mayor.

Emma sat towards the back, with Elena and Bonnie.

They all held candles to hold in vigil.

Bonnie lit Emma's candle with her own, and Emma did the same with the person next to her.

Emma had tears streaming down her face, the passing of the woman devastating for her.

"And Carol was so much more than just a mayor." the sheriff continued.

Emma glanced down at where Tyler and Caroline were sitting and her crying intensified.

He didn't deserve this. At just 17 years old, Tyler was stripped of both of his parents, effectively becoming an orphan.

"She was an open-minded friend... and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon. By a terrible accident." Liz nodded.

Emma saw Tyler abruptly stand up and make his way out of the gym.

She knew as well as everyone else in her friend group that what happened to Carol was no accident.

"Please join me in observing a minute of silence in her memory." Liz stated.

Emma looked down and remembered who she considered a friend.

Not a close one, but a friend. Someone who you could go to to talk about stuff you couldn't with your closest friends.

"You okay?" Bonnie questioned.

Emma looked up and turned to see Elena looking alarmed. The red head raised an eyebrow, confused.

"I'll be right back." the doppelgänger responded.

Elena got up and started heading out of the gym as well.

"Thank you very much. In the wake of this tragedy, the town has selected an interim mayor. Many of you may already know him. Please welcome Mister Rudy Hopkins." Liz said.

Bonnie and I looked at each other, startled.

Her dad was going to be the new mayor?

The man walked up to the podium, shaking the woman's hand, before dipping his head towards the mic.

"Thank you, sheriff. Carol Lockwood put this town first, and that's why I'm here to talk to you guys. You folks are the future of Mystic Falls." he stated.

Emma didn't listen to the rest of what he had to say. It was too much.

Christmas had come and gone, and so had New Year's.

Everyone had just gotten back from winter break so that was the time deemed "appropriate" to hold the vigil.

She thought back to the morning after she triggered her curse.

Emma had woken up, dazed.

The events of the night before hadn't come back to her just yet, and she didn't understand how she ended up in Klaus' mansion.

She heard pattering against the windows, and when she looked, Emma discovered it was pouring rain outside.

The rain had always soothed her.