[21] My Brother's Keeper

They broke up.

I had to do a double take when Stefan called me, informing me of the news. She really did it.

Elena broke Stefan's heart in two and I couldn't figure out who's side I was on. Elena was my sister, yes, but Stefan was my best friend.

He had done so much for me and my family that I just couldn't bring myself to side with either of them.

"Stefan, are you ok?" I asked.

"Yeah, aside from the fact that I want to rip into someone's artery and feed until I can't breathe anymore." he answered.

"Hey, don't do that. As your friend, I am here to help you stay off of those ripper ways. Just... try and focus on something else. Like finding the cure." I countered.

"Yeah. But that'll only happen if Klaus doesn't tear my throat out first." Stefan replied. I huffed in response.

Klaus had gone radio silent on me. Not that I minded too much, seeing as I hadn't been the biggest fan of him lately.

"Alright, I need to go, pageant preparation and all. Stay safe." I teased.

"Ha. Bye." is all I got before he hung up the phone on me.

As I hung up the phone, Elena herself walked outside into the garden at the mayor's mansion. Caroline and I looked at each other before I went back to working on flower arrangements.

I felt awkward, as I knew that Caroline was dying to say something about Stefan and Elena's breakup, but I didn't feel this was the best time to bring it up.

Finally, after a while of silence, Caroline couldn't hold it in anymore.

"Look, I'm your best friend and I would never pick sides, but are sure this is what you want?" Caroline questioned her.

Elena looked up from the decorating she was doing and gave her a look. I swallowed and continued what I was doing, listening to the conversation.

"Because Stefan is your soulmate." Elena gave Caroline a look. 

"Sorry. Picking sides." Caroline spoke.

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore but I can't deny that ever since I turned my feelings for Damon have become more intense." Elena professed.

"Yeah, I know, Stefan filled me in on all the gory Damon details." Caroline replied.

"Care." I warned. 

"He did?" Elena looked puzzled. Caroline raised her eyebrows in response.

"Is he okay?" Elena asked.

"No. He's heartbroken." Caroline responded.

"Well, what am I supposed to do? Lie to him?" Elena reasoned.

"No, but you weren't supposed to let Damon weasel his way into your confused newbie vampire heart." Caroline said.

"Well, he did. And that's exactly what I am... confused. I need to figure out what these feelings actually mean." Elena frowned.

"I think the best thing to do is just give it time. I think you need to figure out what to do, and he needs to figure out how to cope." I broke in.

"Interrogating Elena about what she's feeling isn't going to help right now Care, but I get where you're coming from." I looked at Caroline.

She huffed in agreement, before someone captured our attention.

"Excuse me!" a man called out from a few feet away.

"I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants." he spoke.