[5] The New Deal

Running, Elena and I were halfway around our course, and she was struggling. I started picking up the pace, mocking her. "Really, Emma?" she complained. I just laughed, causing her glare playfully at me. "You need to get in better shape, Elena." I called back. 

I started running backwards, showcasing I was faster than her even going backwards. "Show off." she glared. I smirked before turning around and falling back to her pace. "Well, when it's always pretty nice in L.A, there's a lot of time you can use to run." I tell her. She only chuckles as we continue on.

Elena then started sprinting, huffing before she stopped. I stopped along with her so she could fiddle with her watch. She then showed me. "Better." I said. She only scoffed playfully before turning around. When we did however a man with a hood was jogging from behind us.

Elena grabbed my hand before we started running again. As we were running along, she kept looking back, causing me to as well. I didn't pick up my pace because I knew full well Elena wouldn't be able to keep up. We exchanged looks before going a bit faster.

We turned the corner. Elena frantic ran faster. I caught up with her easily, though. We turned another corner before she stopped abruptly, grabbed hold of a tree and my hand, causing me to stop in my tracks. She looked around for the man, panting. I looked around as well, but I couldn't see him anywhere. 

She looked at me and I just shrugged. When we turned around however, there he was. Elena gasped in surprise while I just raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me." he said, taking his earbuds out. "I should have been watching where I was going." he continued.

Elena shook her head before responding. "Don't worry about it." she breathed. I eyed him suspiciously. "Have a nice day." he smiled before continuing to jog off. Elena and I exchanged nervous glances before running straight home. Done with running for today, thank you very much.

~

"I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm totally paranoid all the time." Elena sighed. "You have a right to be. Klaus is still out there, and he knows you tried to kill him." Bonnie replied. "Why hasn't he made a move?" Elena questioned. I shrugged, after yesterday, I haven't heard anything from him. It's like he's gone completely silent.

"There's been no sign of him, nothing. Just my slow spiral into insanity." Elena spoke. "Join the club. Every time I close my eyes, I have the same nightmare on repeat." Bonnie said. 

"The same dream?" I questioned. "Yeah. Four coffins. Klaus is in one of them. It's weird." Bonnie told us. My stomach churned at the mention of Klaus in a coffin. I never wanted to see him in that state. "What if it's not just...some dream? What if it's like you know, a witch dream? " Elena asked.

I tilted my head slightly at her, before turning back to Bonnie. "It's just stress. I'll figure it out. What about Stefan? Has there been any sign of him?" Bonnie pondered. Elena just shook her head before continuing.

"He betrayed us, Bonnie. The Stefan that we know is gone." Elena sighed. "He's not gone. He just doesn't want to flip the switch back on because he's afraid of feeling the guilt waiting for him." I spoke. Bonnie and Elena just looked at me, shocked before Bonnie continued.

"How is Damon handling that?" Bonnie asked. "Damon is... Damon." Elena nodded. My phone buzzed as I got a text from Jeremy, telling me to meet up with him and Tyler. "I gotta go." I pushed in my chair. "Where are you going?" Bonnie asked. 

"Jeremy wants me to meet him and Tyler in the woods." I told her. They both looked confused, so I shrugged. I kissed Elena on the cheek and waved to Bonnie before exiting the grill, on my way to the part of the woods Jeremy wanted me to meet him and Tyler in.