[18] The Five

Klaus and I were sitting at the other side of the bar, watching Rebekah present Matt with the keys to his new truck, as an apology. I warned her that it probably wouldn't work; I knew Matt.

And, it didn't. Seconds after Rebekah placed the keys down and explained to Matt what they were, he wanted no part and walked away, leaving a guilty Rebekah behind.

I gave her a sympathetic "keep trying" look, while Klaus stared at her blankly. "You're trying too hard." Klaus' signature smirk then appeared. I hit the side of his arm, giving him a look.

He only chuckled a little, placing his arm around me, before turning back to Rebekah. "Last I heard, you were leaving town--forever. Taking my best friend with you." she glared.

"Well, I was," Klaus got up from where he was sitting smoothly, holding his hand out for me to take, which I did, and we made our way over to Rebekah.

"But then I thought to myself, how can I when my sister, clearly so desperate for love and affection, is left here... bribing the help." he smirked at his sister.

Then, I told her why we were really here. "Aka, I wanted to finish school, and say goodbye to everyone." I smirked at Klaus' 'Really?' expression.

Rebekah smirked at me, before turning to her brother, frowning. "What do you want, Nik? I thought I was dead to you." she glared.

"Things change, Rebekah. I've stumbled upon something I think might be of interest to you." he explained. "Doubt that." Rebekah bit back.

"No? Well, what if I told you the brotherhood of the five still existed?" Klaus spoke. "What?" Rebekah looked at me for confirmation. "It's true, Rebekah." I nodded.

"You see? And like that, bygones. Come on, love. Work to do." he instructed. "We don't have anything to do. There is no 'we'. I don't care about the five, and I don't care about you." she replied.

"As you wish." Klaus responded, before walking away, with me in tow. I could tell Rebekah's words hurt Klaus, but what can I say? He's hurt Rebekah so many times, I'm surprised she hasn't done worse. 

~

Klaus and I walked to a room in his house, and I was curious as to why. He opened the doors, and there the hunter was, chained to a table. I looked up at him. "Seriously, Klaus?" I raised an eyebrow, and he only smirked.

He then turned and walked over to the hunter, examining the contraption. "Looks like I'll have to beef up the hybrid security detail." Klaus spoke before turning to look next to me. I looked over and saw Stefan.

"Stefan!" I smiled, and pulled him into a hug, which he took. When we pulled away he gave me a small smile, before turning back to Klaus, his expression neutral. "But I figured you went through such trouble to truss him up in your red room of pain." Stefan replied.

Klaus looked back and forth between Stefan and I before answering. "It's from the inquisition. I thought it was a nice touch."

"What'd you get out of him?" Stefan asked. "Not enough. He's mum about the council fire and he's not saying anything about this greater evil we're all supposed to be shivering over. What brings you snooping?" Klaus turned to look at Stefan.

"Well, I can't say it in front of him. As I'm sure you've figured out, our friend here can't be compelled." Stefan responded. Klaus looked at the hunter. "You're full of mysteries, aren't you?"

"I told you, I don't know anything." the hunter said. "Thankfully, I know plenty." Klaus smirked, before walking away from the hunter and grabbing my hand.