[4] Homecoming

*3rd person pov*

Stefan sits in the boarding house parlor, his phone ringing. The phone stops ringing, indicated it has been picked up.

"Portland is fantastic once you can get over all the whiney music and healthy-looking people. It's literally a breeding ground for werewolves." Klaus says.

"Your father's dead." Stefan replies, out of the blue.

Klaus' eyes go wide in Portland, shocked at what he just heard Stefan say.

"What did you say to me?" Klaus asks, shocked.

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father, and not dead. Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?" Stefan replies.

"Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened." Klaus speaks.

One Hour Earlier

"All right, we'll say that Mikael followed Elena in here. He tried to grab her so he could use her as bait." Stefan explained. "And you, what, vervained him?" Elena questioned. Stefan turns back to her and leans on a railing. "No, we vervained him. The guy's an original. Make it realistic." Damon speaks.

"Ok. Fine. We vervained him. And in the process discovered that he had a dagger." Stefan continues. "Which he planned to use on Rebekah. But instead-" Elena stops so that Stefan can finish for her. "We drove it through his heart." Stefan confirmed.

"And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?" Elena asks Stefan. "Good point. You, my brother, have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So if the idea is to lure him back here and kill him, the last thing we need is you getting tripped up and tongue tied." Damon smirks.

"Well don't look at me. I'm just in charge of getting him back here." Stefan replies. "Klaus is smart. If we tell him that Mikael's dead, he'll want proof." Elena speaks. "Then I shall be dead." Mikael says. He put white oak ash on a table, dipping a dagger into it.

"What if he wants to see in person?" Elena questions. "Well, it means our plan is working. Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him." Mikael replies. "With what? Those daggers won't work on him." Stefan tells him.

"Well. I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree. The one that left these ashes when it burned." Mikael explained. "Where is it?" Damon questioned. "Not here. Knowing its location is my insurance policy." Mikael responds. "Against what?" Stefan asks.

"You leaving this in my heart." Mikael motions to the dagger. "You see, a vampire can't dagger an original without dying. So.. it falls to you." Mikael turns to Elena and holds out the dagger to her, which she takes. "You want me to actually dagger you?" Elena questions. "Klaus will leave nothing to chance. Especially when it comes to trust." Mikael answers.

Present

"I want to see him. I want to see his rotting body for myself." Klaus says.

"Well, he's here. Come by whenever." Stefan replies.

"If you're lying to me, Stefan, your compulsion will expose you. So answer with your life. Is what you're saying the truth?" Klaus speaks.

"It's true. I saw it with my own eyes." Stefan responds.

"I want to talk to Rebekah." Klaus growls.