46. The Creeping Shadow

~unedited~

| |

“So, plan? Yes or no,” Ella asked as they ran back to the Tardis, they quickly entered and locked the door behind them.

“Almost, I gotta figure out what they’re after first.” Ella nodded to the Doctor’s words as she switched the computer monitor on and tuned it so they could see what was going on outside.

“Doctor … I think what they’re after is us,” Ella pointed to the screen and he looked up from the device he was fiddling with. The Doctor rounded the console and stood behind her, softly setting his chin on the top of her head so he could see the screen clearly. Rose walked up and the three clustered around the computer with mixed reactions, Rose in horror, Ella in shock and the Doctor in anger. They witnessed smaller pieces break away from the whole of the mothership that were now flying around and beaming people up.

“That’s what I was afraid of, but I can still work with this,” he mumbled as he started flittering around the console, flipping levers and kicking parts of the machinery, rotating dials. The Tardis dematerialized and before they could land Ella slyly turned the parking brake off, she didn’t want the invaders to hear them land since she had an idea of where they were going.

“Did you do something,” the Doctor asked as they landed and there was no wheezing and groaning from the ship.

“Do you want to announce to the whole alien ship that we’re here,” Ella shot back as the Doctor grabbed the device he was messing around with earlier and they quietly left the ship. The Doctor and Rose headed to where they assumed the bridge was and after a silent argument the Doctor relented and gave Ella the sonic screwdriver as she was determined to find the people she saw being taken. A well-organized group was fast approaching from around the corner, so Ella hid in a paneled alcove she noted a while back. When the group passed by she didn’t move quite yet, not having thought about how she was going to find the people, an idea came to her and she debated whether it would work since it was really simple. She decided to just go for it and if she happened to be captured too then she had faith her people will find her, they always did when she went off by herself.

Finally, after thinking carefully about her plan she left the alcove and silently moved through the corridors, she came upon a room full of the creatures, their speech sounded intelligent if not garbled and rough. She listened for about 10 minutes before they started talking about the prisoners which caused Ella to perk up. One of the creatures broke from the group citing having been ordered to check on the cells, they mumble something about knowing how hardheaded humans could be and how resistant they are to capture, Ella smiled at how true that was. Keeping as much distance between her and the creature she followed them down many hallways and when they stopped at a lift Ella hid in a doorway. When she was sure the creature had gotten in the lift, she left her hiding spot wanting to see if there were any indicators on what floor they went to, she wasn’t expecting to be met with bright yellow eyes.

| |

The Doctor and Rose quickly found the bridge and were met with about a dozen of the blue skinned creatures, they seemed surprised to see them, all convinced that they were part of the group they captured. One of the creatures who seemed to be in charge of the invasion force as he was at the helm of the mothership, reached to his com link. “Engineering, we have a couple of humans who made it to the bridge can you check on the cells?” an affirmative sound came from the com.

“Doctor, Ella’s down there,” Rose whispered.

“She’ll be fine,” the Doctor had complete faith in her as he didn’t choose his human companions lightly. The creatures slowly approached the two and Rose having been told of the plan earlier let them take her into custody and the Doctor did his thing as he started rambling. He easily commanded all the attention, so no one noticed Rose as she was led out of the room and planted the device on the machine the Doctor said they used to teleport here. Rose was shoved roughly in the direction of what she assumed were the cells for the humans they captured, she hoped Ella found it okay. When they approached the prisoner floor the creature with a hand on Rose’s arm led her to a half full cell and pushed her inside, they closed the door, and the blonde heard a series of beeps as the door locked behind her.