Eighteen

Fuck Rio. Fuck him and his stupid gang. Fuck his good chicken alfredo. Well, if that mother fucker thinks I'm taking the leftovers to work...then he's right. Hey, I am not going to waste good pasta.

"Geez, I haven't seen you shove your face like that since Marisol brought Costco pizza for all of us," Steve chuckled. "I guess Beth invited you over?" He grabbed a napkin and handed it to me. "And offer leftovers?"

"Nah, I wasn't with Beth. She was busy with the kids," I said before I realized my slip-up. My eyes widened as I froze mid-bite. I looked at Steve and gave him a nervous chuckle before grabbing the napkin to wipe my mouth. "What I mean is...Beth didn't cook this. Ri - Ruby did when she came over last night." Ok, let's roll with that. "I am a terrible cook and asked Ruby if she could teach me."

"Seems like she did a good job if you're chowing down like that. But, hey, I'm a great cook. I can teach you a few things if you want."

"What is step one? How not to burn eggs?" I joked.

"That is actually step number two. Step number one is more like...how to keep the shells out."

I smirked as I leaned back and crossed my arms. "Wow, I didn't know I was being taught by Gordon Ramsey."

Steve chuckled. "I am a lot nicer than he is."

"Yeah, but I would tolerate him more."

"Ouch. That stung." We started to laugh. "How about tomorrow night?"

"Fine, show me what Master Chef Steve can do."

"It's a date."

I froze. "Wait, what?" Steve's eyes widened slightly as my phone rang in my pocket. I picked it up to receive a message from Beth to go to her house ASAP. I ignored Steve's rambling as I got up from my spot and began grabbing my stuff. "Um, I actually need to leave, right now. I...stained myself and don't have any pads on me."

"Oh, right," Steve blushed. "I'll see you later then."

Crap, what the hell did I just agree to?

》》》》

Beth was freaking out the moment Annie, Ruby, and I arrived there. She didn't tell us what was going on and had us follow her.

"Will you tell us what's going on? This is freaking me out," Ruby said.

My eyes widened when I saw an unconscious man laying on the bed with a deep gash wound on his side. "Holy shit," I whispered.

"Who is that?"

"I don't know," Beth rushed out.

"What do you mean, you don't know?"

"I mean, I came back from the grocery store and he was just there. And, I mean, I'm assuming he's, like, an associate of the gangbanger."

My eyes widened as I recall what Rio said. I shook my head and look at Beth. "Beth, what other job did you got us into?"

"Other job?" Ruby and Annie asked.

"Because I am not about to go out there and bury a dead man in your backyard."

"Why does it have to be my backyard?" Beth asked.

"Because you're the one who wanted another job."

Ruby wasn't too happy about it. "Come on! I thought we were done with that."

I pointed at Beth. "Tell that to her."

"How do you even know?" Beth wondered.

"Because his fucking boss broke into my house last night and made food."