Twenty

I tried not to roll my eyes at the customer. I just want my shift to be over and go home, but that won't happen for another five hours. And this lady has been in line for ten minutes, only to come up to the register saying she doesn't know what she wants and to say let her check the menu. She opens her mouth to say what she wants then changes her mind at the last second.

"Oooh, I think I'll get the iced mocha," she said but her eyes didn't leave the menu. I nodded and went to input her order but she pursed her lips as she gripped her bag. "But a frap does sound good."

"We can make the mocha a frap," I informed her.

"No, it might be too much chocolate for me."

"We can do less chocolate than we usually do. Would you like two pumps or one if you're not a fan of sweets?"

"I don't know. I'm just not really craving anything on the menu." The lady let out the most exaggerated gasp. "Do you guys have pizza? Stuff crust sounds good."

I let out a very strained chuckle as I looked at Steve, who was doing the afternoon coffee changes. "I'm gonna stuff her in the crust," I whispered to him through clenched teeth.

"Be nice," he mouthed while holding back a chuckle.

This time I did roll my eyes as I looked at the customer. "Unfortunately, ma'am, we don't serve pizza. We only have coffee and a few pastries."

The lady started looking around. "Oh, this isn't Little Ceasars."

》》》》

It was finally break time and I decided to have a quick cigarette. The back door opened and Steve looked around before spotting me.

"Oh, there you are," he said as he came closer.

"Whatever the customer said about me, can it wait until I get back?" I asked with a small groan.

"Surprisingly, a customer didn't complain this time," he tried to joke.

"Oh, wow. Must be a new record."

"I came to tell you Beth's here to pick you up."

My brows furrowed as I pulled my phone out. "My shift's not over for another two hours."

"Well, we are kinda slow so I need to send a few of you home. It's not you, labor's a little high and the district manager wants me to cut back."

I took one last drag before handing the cigarette to Steve. "Fine, I'll go clock out."

"I'll see you at Kenny's party." Say what now? Steve noticed my confusion. "Dean invited me. I thought he told you."

"No, he didn't," I said through clenched teeth. I'm going to fucking kill Dean.

We heard a gasp by the entrance. One of my coworkers, Daisy, had the door open while looking at Steve in shock. "I know about you smoking, Perrie," she breathed. "But you, Steve."

"I don't -" Steve stuttered.

I smirked at him while patting his shoulder. "Good luck explaining that one."

》》》》

"I'm sorry he invited your boss," Beth said as she handed another kid a cotton candy.

Yes, I told Beth that Dean invited Steve. Ruby and Annie had to hold me back before knocking Dean's teeth out before Kenny's party started. All the adults have their tasks to do: Beth gives out cotton candy, Dean manages the bouncy house, Ruby hands everyone ice cream, and I set up the pinata.

"I'm sorry you married Dean," I retorted. I looked up to see Steve and Boomer arriving. Steve had a small gift bag while Boomer carried the box with the cake inside. "I can't believe those two are related."